2004-04-01 18:46:09

by beatriz.hargrave

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth - USB adapters

Hello everybody !

I am new in the list - sorry if my question is too basic.

I would like to know if there is a bluetooth-USB adapter for
Linux Red Hat 7.1, and where can I buy it (Internet or in
Brazil) . The adapters I have found so far are only for
Windows (Leadership and Apple).

Thank you very much.

Beatriz.

---
AntiPop-up UOL - =C9 gr=E1tis!
http://antipopup.uol.com.br

by Christoph Torens

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth - USB adapters

Hi Beatriz,

> I would like to know if there is a bluetooth-USB adapter for
> Linux Red Hat 7.1, and where can I buy it (Internet or in
> Brazil) . The adapters I have found so far are only for
> Windows (Leadership and Apple).

Thats quite exactly what I asked a few days ago. I'll post the answer I
got from the list.
Hope this helps you...

My question was exactly:
>> I'd like to buy an additional Bluetooth Dongle,
>> because my Zeevo Chip Dongles don't work properly and I stressed my
>> friend to long now by borrowing his CSR Dongle.
>> So which chipsets exist at all, and is CSR the "all-time-best-solution"
>> for linux?
>> And last but not least, how can I buy a Dongle with the desired
>> chipset? You normaly just see the manufacturers as Acer for example,
>> not the chipset, don't you? Is it absolutely unimportant at all, if its
>> Acer, Belkin, D-Link or what ever?

And here the answer from Marcel Holtmann, who does the developing on the
bluez stack:

> the problem is the community support with chips from Zeevo and Broadcom
> for example. We already know that their chips not behave very well under
> some circumstances. On the other side we have CSR and if you ask me I
> would always decide to use one of their chips, because their chips are
> known to work very well and their community support is very good. They
> really support Linux and try to help people that have problems. But
> there are more companies than Zeevo, Broadcom and CSR. For example I
> also use devices from AVM and ST Microelectronics and some others.
>Actually my current policy is to tell everyone to try a CSR dongle first
> if you see hardware problems like TX timeouts. Some companies should do
> their homework or pay people to do it for them.
>For finding out what kind of chip is inside the dongles you can use this
> webpage
>http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/features.html

There is no special RedHat USB-Dongle. Well, bluez should work on your
Linux, of course. If it does not run already, I suggest you should read
some of the howto's on http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/

By the way, I bought the "Epox DG02A" (CSR Chipset)
and I think it works better with Linux than my "Acer BT510" (Zeevo Chipset)

--
Christoph