2004-10-04 01:52:17

by Christoph Torens

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluetooth pand and isp116x problems partly solved

hello List,

i wrote to the list a long time ago, because I had the problem, that a
pand connection didn't work. And after trying this the usb dongle
produced only timeouts.

You pointed me to the usb host controller that could be the
problem and of course you ware right.

I found out that the host controller driver needed a 4 msec deelay in a
function hc_submit_urb to work properly.
But sadly I don't understand WHY this helps. I believe my solution is
only a cure for the symptom not for the cause.
And it's not the right playe for a delay in this function, I think.

What I would like to know now:
Why is pand (or dund or ppp over rfcomm) so critical?
l2ping gave no errors, and also other usb tasks were ok.

--
regards,
Christoph

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Christoph,

> i wrote to the list a long time ago, because I had the problem, that a
> pand connection didn't work. And after trying this the usb dongle
> produced only timeouts.
>
> You pointed me to the usb host controller that could be the
> problem and of course you ware right.
>
> I found out that the host controller driver needed a 4 msec deelay in a
> function hc_submit_urb to work properly.
> But sadly I don't understand WHY this helps. I believe my solution is
> only a cure for the symptom not for the cause.
> And it's not the right playe for a delay in this function, I think.

ask the host controller driver maintainer about that and move this
question to the USB devel mailing list. Include the patch that you use
to make it working.

> What I would like to know now:
> Why is pand (or dund or ppp over rfcomm) so critical?
> l2ping gave no errors, and also other usb tasks were ok.

The HCI commands and events are control or interrupt URB and for all
other higher protocols based on L2CAP the bulk interrupts are used and
maybe our current URB handling in the hci_usb driver is not perfect.

Regards

Marcel