2007-07-11 03:03:22

by Herbert Xu

Subject: [0/3] [DM] dm-crypt: Add async crypto support

Hi:

I've rebased the async dm-crypt patches for 2.6.22. In doing
so I've refactored the kcryptd split so that all crypto operations
happen in kcryptd while all IO submissions occur in kcryptd-io.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>

by Andreas Jellinghaus

Subject: Re: [0/3] [DM] dm-crypt: Add async crypto support

Herbert Xu wrote:
> I've rebased the async dm-crypt patches for 2.6.22. In doing
> so I've refactored the kcryptd split so that all crypto operations
> happen in kcryptd while all IO submissions occur in kcryptd-io.

will this reduce latencies and stalls with dm-crypt? When copying large
files dm-crypted machines (swap+root) are often not very usable.

Also in some cases I see no i/o happening in vmstat, sometimes for a minute,
while lots of processes are blocked waiting for data read and decrypted
from disk. But I don't have a recipe for reproducing this so far and only
tested up to 2.6.21.*.

Regards, Andreas

2007-07-25 09:23:53

by Herbert Xu

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:03:03AM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:

> I've rebased the async dm-crypt patches for 2.6.22. In doing
> so I've refactored the kcryptd split so that all crypto operations
> happen in kcryptd while all IO submissions occur in kcryptd-io.

Hi Alasdair:

Do you have any further comments on these patches?

If you're OK with them then I could drop them into
the cryptodev tree.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>