2008-01-31 09:21:31

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Trouble with non modular ciphers

FYI -- with a linus git kernel of yesterday or so I ran into a problem where
one cipher module (CBC) was compiled in and the rest modular. dm_crypt
could not resolve the cipher module until I turned it into a module.
I don't remember if cryptomanager was modular or not.

I don't have the exact configuration anymore unfortunately, but just
wanted to report the problem.

Also I found that cryptomanager is quite unhappy when CONFIG_KMOD
is not defined. Perhaps it should Kconfig select it?

-Andi

Subject: Re: Trouble with non modular ciphers

* Andi Kleen | 2008-01-31 10:21:24 [+0100]:

>FYI -- with a linus git kernel of yesterday or so I ran into a problem where
>one cipher module (CBC) was compiled in and the rest modular. dm_crypt
>could not resolve the cipher module until I turned it into a module.
and dm_crypt itself was a module?

>I don't remember if cryptomanager was modular or not.
>From what I see, if CBC is in kernel than cryptomanager is also compiled
in.

>Also I found that cryptomanager is quite unhappy when CONFIG_KMOD
>is not defined. Perhaps it should Kconfig select it?
If you disable modules, than why should one module enable it?

>-Andi

Sebastian

2008-01-31 12:49:58

by Andi Kleen

On Thursday 31 January 2008 13:48:34 Sebastian Siewior wrote:
> * Andi Kleen | 2008-01-31 10:21:24 [+0100]:
>
> >FYI -- with a linus git kernel of yesterday or so I ran into a problem where
> >one cipher module (CBC) was compiled in and the rest modular. dm_crypt
> >could not resolve the cipher module until I turned it into a module.
> and dm_crypt itself was a module?

I don't remember to be honest. Is it important?

> >Also I found that cryptomanager is quite unhappy when CONFIG_KMOD
> >is not defined. Perhaps it should Kconfig select it?
> If you disable modules, than why should one module enable it?

CONFIG_KMOD is not modules (that is CONFIG_MODULES), but module
autoloading.

-Andi

* Andi Kleen | 2008-01-31 13:49:54 [+0100]:

>On Thursday 31 January 2008 13:48:34 Sebastian Siewior wrote:
>> * Andi Kleen | 2008-01-31 10:21:24 [+0100]:
>>
>> >FYI -- with a linus git kernel of yesterday or so I ran into a problem where
>> >one cipher module (CBC) was compiled in and the rest modular. dm_crypt
>> >could not resolve the cipher module until I turned it into a module.
>> and dm_crypt itself was a module?
>
>I don't remember to be honest. Is it important?
It could be possible that dm_crypt is trying to use the crypto API
before it is initialized, but I doubt it.

>> >Also I found that cryptomanager is quite unhappy when CONFIG_KMOD
>> >is not defined. Perhaps it should Kconfig select it?
>> If you disable modules, than why should one module enable it?
>
>CONFIG_KMOD is not modules (that is CONFIG_MODULES), but module
>autoloading.
Ach, you right. This problem has every user of try_then_request_module()
and I don't see anybody selecting CONFIG_KMOD in the kernel.

>-Andi
Sebastian

2008-02-01 00:12:21

by Herbert Xu

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:21:24AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> FYI -- with a linus git kernel of yesterday or so I ran into a problem where
> one cipher module (CBC) was compiled in and the rest modular. dm_crypt
> could not resolve the cipher module until I turned it into a module.
> I don't remember if cryptomanager was modular or not.
>
> I don't have the exact configuration anymore unfortunately, but just
> wanted to report the problem.

OK, I couldn't find anything bad from looking through the Kconfig.
What happens if you try to build it in again?

> Also I found that cryptomanager is quite unhappy when CONFIG_KMOD
> is not defined. Perhaps it should Kconfig select it?

Good point. Yes we should do that.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>

by Loc Ho

Subject: Async Linux NETKEY (IPSec Stack)

Hi Herbert,

I just want to check on the status of Linux NETKEY change to support
asynchronous Linux CryptoAPI interface. Have ESP, AH, and AEAD changes to
make use of async API?

In addition, I submitted async HASH and DIGEST patch over a week ago. Any
comments and whether it will be accepted?

Thanks,
Loc

2008-02-04 22:37:10

by Herbert Xu

Subject: Re: Async Linux NETKEY (IPSec Stack)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:56:27AM -0800, Loc Ho wrote:

> I just want to check on the status of Linux NETKEY change to support
> asynchronous Linux CryptoAPI interface. Have ESP, AH, and AEAD changes to
> make use of async API?
>
> In addition, I submitted async HASH and DIGEST patch over a week ago. Any
> comments and whether it will be accepted?

Sorry but I'm currently travelling so I can't give your patches the
proper attention. I'll look at them as soon as things quiten down
in a couple of weeks.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>

by Torsten Wildschek

Herbert,

how about Loc's question regarding "Linux NETKEY change to support
asynchronous Linux CryptoAPI"? I know that there are quite a few
people interested
in that.

Cheers,
Torsten
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Herbert Xu wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:56:27AM -0800, Loc Ho wrote:
>>
>> I just want to check on the status of Linux NETKEY change to support
>> asynchronous Linux CryptoAPI interface. Have ESP, AH, and AEAD changes to
>> make use of async API?
>>
>> In addition, I submitted async HASH and DIGEST patch over a week ago. Any
>> comments and whether it will be accepted?
>
> Sorry but I'm currently travelling so I can't give your patches the
> proper attention. I'll look at them as soon as things quiten down
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Visit Openswan at http://www.openswan.org/
> Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>
> Home Page: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/
> PGP Key: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt

2008-02-06 19:57:22

by Herbert Xu

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:21:46PM +0000, Torsten Wildschek wrote:
> Herbert,
>
> how about Loc's question regarding "Linux NETKEY change to support
> asynchronous Linux CryptoAPI"? I know that there are quite a few people
> interested
> in that.

Oh I missed that :)

That's already upstream I think.

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 06:57:18AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:

> That's already upstream I think.

Actually it isn't in Linus's tree yet so it might be pushed back
to 2.6.26.

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:49:24PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Actually it isn't in Linus's tree yet so it might be pushed back
> to 2.6.26.

Doh I'm obviously clueless. It is already in Linus's tree
at changeset 1a6509d991225ad210de54c63314fd9542922095.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>