2014-07-28 13:24:44

by Muran Hrun

Subject: DMA support for mv_cesa

Hi,

What is the status of DMA support for mv_cesa? I tried applying the patches at
git://nwl.cc/~n0-1/linux.git (cesa-dma branch)
on kernel 3.15.6 but the kernel just crashed on my DNS-320, when
accessing an encrypted volume. (Kernel 3.5rc2 in the respository did
not boot at all)

Is DMA support for mv_cesa still developed?

Thanks

2014-07-28 14:18:07

by Jason Cooper

Subject: Re: DMA support for mv_cesa

Muran,

+ free-electron's, mvebu maintainers

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 03:24:43PM +0200, Muran Hrun wrote:
> What is the status of DMA support for mv_cesa? I tried applying the patches at
> git://nwl.cc/~n0-1/linux.git (cesa-dma branch)
> on kernel 3.15.6 but the kernel just crashed on my DNS-320, when
> accessing an encrypted volume. (Kernel 3.5rc2 in the respository did
> not boot at all)
>
> Is DMA support for mv_cesa still developed?

thx,

Jason.

2014-07-28 14:38:52

by Thomas Petazzoni

Jason, Muran,

+Cc Tawfik and Lior from Marvell.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:17:57 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> Muran,
>
> + free-electron's, mvebu maintainers
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 03:24:43PM +0200, Muran Hrun wrote:
> > What is the status of DMA support for mv_cesa? I tried applying the patches at
> > git://nwl.cc/~n0-1/linux.git (cesa-dma branch)
> > on kernel 3.15.6 but the kernel just crashed on my DNS-320, when
> > accessing an encrypted volume. (Kernel 3.5rc2 in the respository did
> > not boot at all)
> >
> > Is DMA support for mv_cesa still developed?

On our (Free Electrons) side, we haven't started working on the crypto
unit for Armada 370/XP/375/38x, so it's not a driver for which we have
followed the recent developments. However, it might appear on our
TODO-list at some point in the future.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

2014-07-28 21:06:00

by Phil Sutter

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 03:24:43PM +0200, Muran Hrun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of DMA support for mv_cesa? I tried applying the patches at
> git://nwl.cc/~n0-1/linux.git (cesa-dma branch)
> on kernel 3.15.6 but the kernel just crashed on my DNS-320, when
> accessing an encrypted volume. (Kernel 3.5rc2 in the respository did
> not boot at all)

Yes, this is pretty old, work in progress and almost certainly broken.

> Is DMA support for mv_cesa still developed?

I still have that in mind, but am buried in work.

On the technical side, the interesting thing is providing for the
various DMA engines Marvell has and probably will continue to bestow
upon us.

Cheers, Phil

2014-07-29 07:11:26

by Muran Hrun

Ah, thanks for the answer.

I can assist with hw (DNS-320 and possibly other) to test on when time comes.

The goal would be to have a low cost encrypted NAS as fast as possible.