2006-09-15 06:11:08

by Udayan Singh

Subject: Working in Ext4 FS

Hello All,

I am interested in working on ext4 development. Have worked on linux
(driver development) as a part of my job. Also had done some internal
work on ext2fs (more of knowledge building).

My plan would be to understand the new features that are planned for
ext4 development. Where can I get this information ?

Then start with some minor contribution.

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,
Udayan

2006-09-15 13:01:51

by Dave Kleikamp

Subject: Re: Working in Ext4 FS

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:41 +0530, Udayan Singh wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am interested in working on ext4 development. Have worked on linux
> (driver development) as a part of my job. Also had done some internal
> work on ext2fs (more of knowledge building).
>
> My plan would be to understand the new features that are planned for
> ext4 development. Where can I get this information ?

A wiki page was started, but hasn't been updated in a while:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ext3-devel
It was created before it was decided to branch ext4. :-)

The archives for this mailing list are probably the most complete
reference. The gmane archive,
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4 , appears incomplete.
This one looks to be in better shape:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

The set of patches against 2.6.18-rc6 was recently announced to the
mailing list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00051.html

I'm working on porting them to 2.6.18-rc6-mm2 and cleaning them up a
little bit. I'm hoping I get that done later today.

> Then start with some minor contribution.
>
> Would appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Regards,
> Udayan
> -
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

2006-09-15 13:21:42

by Eric Sandeen

Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:41 +0530, Udayan Singh wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am interested in working on ext4 development. Have worked on linux
>> (driver development) as a part of my job. Also had done some internal
>> work on ext2fs (more of knowledge building).
>>
>> My plan would be to understand the new features that are planned for
>> ext4 development. Where can I get this information ?
>
> A wiki page was started, but hasn't been updated in a while:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ext3-devel
> It was created before it was decided to branch ext4. :-)

Sorry, that's my job to update, feel free to send content my way :)

-Eric

2006-09-15 13:22:57

by Dave Kleikamp

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 08:20 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Dave Kleikamp wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 11:41 +0530, Udayan Singh wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I am interested in working on ext4 development. Have worked on linux
> >> (driver development) as a part of my job. Also had done some internal
> >> work on ext2fs (more of knowledge building).
> >>
> >> My plan would be to understand the new features that are planned for
> >> ext4 development. Where can I get this information ?
> >
> > A wiki page was started, but hasn't been updated in a while:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ext3-devel
> > It was created before it was decided to branch ext4. :-)
>
> Sorry, that's my job to update, feel free to send content my way :)

It's a wiki. We're all guilty. :-)