2014-05-16 04:46:11

by Dave Chinner

Hi folks,

As requested I've created a new mailing list for xfstests
development and discussion. Reflecting the fact that the test
harness is not really XFS specific anymore, the list is:

[email protected]

I have not confirmed an archiving location yet (in the process of
doing so through marc.info), but that should be set up real soon.

I'll still be listening in on the XFS list for xfstests patches, bug
reports and questions, so don't worry if you forget this new list
exists... :)

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner

(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (121.00 B)

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 02:46:11PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As requested I've created a new mailing list for xfstests
> development and discussion. Reflecting the fact that the test
> harness is not really XFS specific anymore, the list is:
>
> [email protected]

Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?

2014-05-16 08:49:10

by Lukas Czerner

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 22:40:09 -0700
> From: Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>
> To: Dave Chinner <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected], [email protected],
> [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfstests: new mailing list
>
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 02:46:11PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > As requested I've created a new mailing list for xfstests
> > development and discussion. Reflecting the fact that the test
> > harness is not really XFS specific anymore, the list is:
> >
> > [email protected]
>
> Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?

It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
suite itself keep the name xfstests.

This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
specific.

-Lukas

by Christoph Hellwig

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:48:42AM +0200, Luk?? Czerner wrote:
> > > As requested I've created a new mailing list for xfstests
> > > development and discussion. Reflecting the fact that the test
> > > harness is not really XFS specific anymore, the list is:
> > >
> > > [email protected]
> >
> > Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?
>
> It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
> harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
> suite itself keep the name xfstests.
>
> This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
> specific.

Having the name different from the project it is for is stupid. Either
rename the test suite, or use the same name for the mailing list.

by Lukas Czerner

On Fri, 16 May 2014, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 01:53:20 -0700
> From: Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>
> To: Luk?? Czerner <[email protected]>
> Cc: Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>, Dave Chinner <[email protected]>,
> [email protected], [email protected],
> [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfstests: new mailing list

> > > Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?
> >
> > It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
> > harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
> > suite itself keep the name xfstests.
> >
> > This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
> > specific.
>
> Having the name different from the project it is for is stupid. Either
> rename the test suite, or use the same name for the mailing list.

Renaming the test suite is a good option if we can agree on this.

-Lukas

by Sedat Dilek

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Lukáš Czerner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 22:40:09 -0700
>> From: Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>
>> To: Dave Chinner <[email protected]>
>> Cc: [email protected], [email protected],
>> [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfstests: new mailing list
>>
>> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 02:46:11PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > As requested I've created a new mailing list for xfstests
>> > development and discussion. Reflecting the fact that the test
>> > harness is not really XFS specific anymore, the list is:
>> >
>> > [email protected]
>>
>> Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?
>
> It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
> harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
> suite itself keep the name xfstests.
>
> This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
> specific.

Why not eliminate the "x" entirely?
In my testings, I used xfstests-suite for testing Ext4-FS.
(My intention is not to hurt any XFS developers...).

- Sedat -

by Calvin Walton

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 10:55 +0200, Lukáš Czerner wrote:

> > > It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
> > > harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
> > > suite itself keep the name xfstests.
> > >
> > > This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
> > > specific.
> >
> > Having the name different from the project it is for is stupid. Either
> > rename the test suite, or use the same name for the mailing list.
>
> Renaming the test suite is a good option if we can agree on this.

Instead of renaming the test suite, why not just "backronym" it to mean
something different? The letter x is used to mean "cross" in many
contexts, so "xfstests" could easily mean "cross-filesystem tests" - a
name that fits perfectly!

Only kind of joking,
Calvin.

--
Calvin Walton <[email protected]>

2014-05-16 14:05:54

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:02:07AM -0400, Calvin Walton wrote:

> Instead of renaming the test suite, why not just "backronym" it to mean
> something different? The letter x is used to mean "cross" in many
> contexts, so "xfstests" could easily mean "cross-filesystem tests" - a
> name that fits perfectly!

Or maybe "extended file system tests", if people really are concerned
about the naming. Seriously, is this really that important to folks?

- Ted

2014-05-16 22:19:30

by Dave Chinner

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 01:53:20AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > > Isn't there an "x" missing somewhere?
> >
> > It's intentional and it is "Reflecting the fact that the test
> > harness is not really XFS specific anymore", even though the test
> > suite itself keep the name xfstests.
> >
> > This way it's more obvious to people that this is in fact not xfs
> > specific.
>
> Having the name different from the project it is for is stupid. Either
> rename the test suite, or use the same name for the mailing list.

Renaming the test suite take a lot more work - .e.g renaming/moving
source trees and a fixing all the documentation that points to it...

So, small steps.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner

by Christoph Hellwig

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 08:19:30AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Renaming the test suite take a lot more work - .e.g renaming/moving
> source trees and a fixing all the documentation that points to it...

In that case please call the list xfstests - a name different by a
single character is utterly confusing. And I defintively see some merit
to the suggestion that we'll just keep the x and allow people to come up
with a nice backronym for it if they care enough.

2014-05-19 21:25:48

by Dave Chinner

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 07:55:41AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 08:19:30AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Renaming the test suite take a lot more work - .e.g renaming/moving
> > source trees and a fixing all the documentation that points to it...
>
> In that case please call the list xfstests - a name different by a
> single character is utterly confusing. And I defintively see some merit
> to the suggestion that we'll just keep the x and allow people to come up
> with a nice backronym for it if they care enough.

What is important is that we have a separate list for the filesystem
test suite we use, not whether the name has an "x" in or not.
Arguing about whether there should or should not be an 'x' in the
mailing list name is just a waste of time - it's not going to make
me change the name of the list....

Cheers,

Dave.
--