2020-04-14 13:32:18

by Eric Whitney

Subject: generic/456 regression on 5.7-rc1, 1k test case

I'm seeing consistent failures for generic/456 while running kvm-xfstests' 1k
test case on 5.7-rc1. This is with an x86-64 test appliance root file system
image dated 23 March 2020.

The test fails when e2fsck reports "inconsistent fs: inode 12, i_size is
147456, should be 163840".

Bisecting 5.7-rc1 identified the following patch as the cause:
ext4: don't set dioread_nolock by default for blocksize < pagesize
(626b035b816b). Reverting the patch in 5.7-rc1 reliably eliminates the test
failure.

Eric

2020-04-14 16:34:13

by Eric Whitney

Subject: Re: generic/456 regression on 5.7-rc1, 1k test case

* Ritesh Harjani <[email protected]>:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On 4/14/20 8:22 AM, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > On 4/14/20 1:42 AM, Eric Whitney wrote:
> > > I'm seeing consistent failures for generic/456 while running
> > > kvm-xfstests' 1k
> > > test case on 5.7-rc1.  This is with an x86-64 test appliance root
> > > file system
> > > image dated 23 March 2020.
> > >
> > > The test fails when e2fsck reports "inconsistent fs: inode 12, i_size is
> > > 147456, should be 163840".
> > >
> > > Bisecting 5.7-rc1 identified the following patch as the cause:
> > > ext4: don't set dioread_nolock by default for blocksize < pagesize
> > > (626b035b816b).  Reverting the patch in 5.7-rc1 reliably eliminates
> > > the test
> > > failure.
> > >

> > Since you could reliably reproduce it. Could you please try with this
> > patch and see if this fixes it for you?
> >
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-ext4/patch/[email protected]/
>

> Ok, so after updating the xfstests to latest, I could reliably reproduce
> generic/456 failing on x86 with 1K blocksize on my setup too.
> Although, with my limited testing, I couldn't see this issue on Power (where
> blocksize == 4K and PAGESIZE=64K).
>
> But either ways, after applying above patch the tests always passes for
> me (tested on x86). So this should indeed fix your reported problem.
> Saw an email too that Ted has now picked up this patch.
>

> -ritesh

Hi, Ritesh:

Thanks for pointing out that patch - I'd not noticed it. Out of general
thoroughness, I applied it to 5.7-rc1 and ran the entire 1k test case
without a generic/456 failure or any other regressions. So, that should
resolve this issue. (5.7-rc1 otherwise looks good to me generally after
regression against 5.6 on x86_64).

Thanks very much for your help!

Eric

2020-04-15 06:50:55

by Ritesh Harjani

Hello Eric,

On 4/14/20 1:42 AM, Eric Whitney wrote:
> I'm seeing consistent failures for generic/456 while running kvm-xfstests' 1k
> test case on 5.7-rc1. This is with an x86-64 test appliance root file system
> image dated 23 March 2020.
>
> The test fails when e2fsck reports "inconsistent fs: inode 12, i_size is
> 147456, should be 163840".
>
> Bisecting 5.7-rc1 identified the following patch as the cause:
> ext4: don't set dioread_nolock by default for blocksize < pagesize
> (626b035b816b). Reverting the patch in 5.7-rc1 reliably eliminates the test
> failure.

Since you could reliably reproduce it. Could you please try with this
patch and see if this fixes it for you?

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-ext4/patch/[email protected]/

-ritesh

2020-04-15 17:20:45