2008-09-15 16:41:03

by Rohit Sharma

Subject: reading superblock

I want to read ext2 superblock and display the structure.

which function do i need to call for that.
is it ext2_get_sb() or ext2_fill_super() or both ??

this is the function prototype:
static int ext2_fill_super(struct super_block *sb, void *data, int silent)

what are the parameters data and silent used for.

2008-09-16 04:23:35

by ashish mahamuni

Subject: Re: reading superblock

Hello Rohit,

I hope you are doing this for getting hand on ext2/ext3 file systems.
So what I'll suggest is try to read the on disk data structures and read the Super Block. That will really help you to understand some part of file systems instead relying on some existing functions.
I've posted one article regarding reading super block you can look at that...
http://bytes.com/forum/thread771405.html

Regards,
Ashish