2008-09-28 10:19:06

by Rohit Sharma

Subject: inode and blocks

Suppose i have a file named abc.txt and i want to specify that
all the *.txt files must be allocated between block groups no. 100 -
200 in ext2 fs.

Is there a way to do this?

can we modify function ext2_new_inode and find_group_orlov for this?

2008-09-28 21:01:21

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: inode and blocks

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:49:04PM +0530, Rohit Sharma wrote:
> Suppose i have a file named abc.txt and i want to specify that
> all the *.txt files must be allocated between block groups no. 100 -
> 200 in ext2 fs.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> can we modify function ext2_new_inode and find_group_orlov for this?

You would have to modify kernel code to do this; the main question
which comes to mind is *why* would you want to do something like this?
It seems like an ideal problem set that a professor might give to a
student, since it would force them to try to get from an inode to the
pathname used to open the file. So it seems to be one of these really
pointless things that isn't particularly useful in real life, except
for pedagogical purposes.

- Ted

2008-09-29 14:33:04

by Rohit Sharma

Not an assignment actually, but a project.
We are working on open hierarchical storage management, in which we
store files on disks according to different file placement policies.
For eg. if i say that all the important files, like all the employee
database should be in disk 1 and all the songs on disk 2, then we
place them accordingly in different disks.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:49:04PM +0530, Rohit Sharma wrote:
>> Suppose i have a file named abc.txt and i want to specify that
>> all the *.txt files must be allocated between block groups no. 100 -
>> 200 in ext2 fs.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> can we modify function ext2_new_inode and find_group_orlov for this?
>
> You would have to modify kernel code to do this; the main question
> which comes to mind is *why* would you want to do something like this?
> It seems like an ideal problem set that a professor might give to a
> student, since it would force them to try to get from an inode to the
> pathname used to open the file. So it seems to be one of these really
> pointless things that isn't particularly useful in real life, except
> for pedagogical purposes.
>
> - Ted

2008-09-29 17:24:05

by Sunil

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Rohit Sharma <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not an assignment actually, but a project.
> We are working on open hierarchical storage management, in which we
> store files on disks according to different file placement policies.
> For eg. if i say that all the important files, like all the employee
> database should be in disk 1 and all the songs on disk 2, then we
> place them accordingly in different disks.
>

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:49:04PM +0530, Rohit Sharma wrote:
> >> Suppose i have a file named abc.txt and i want to specify that
> >> all the *.txt files must be allocated between block groups no. 100 -
> >> 200 in ext2 fs.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to do this?
> >>
> >> can we modify function ext2_new_inode and find_group_orlov for this?
> >
> > You would have to modify kernel code to do this; the main question
> > which comes to mind is *why* would you want to do something like this?
> > It seems like an ideal problem set that a professor might give to a
> > student, since it would force them to try to get from an inode to the
> > pathname used to open the file. So it seems to be one of these really
> > pointless things that isn't particularly useful in real life, except
> > for pedagogical purposes.
> >
> > - Ted

Hi Rohit,

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to identify the type of file inside
kernel ? from an extension or file format ?

Thanks.

--
Sunil.

Attachments: