2007-07-09 15:02:34

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: E2fsprogs git tree

People may have noticed that e2fsprogs 1.40 and roughly a week later
e2fsprogs 1.40.1 have been released, while there hasn't been any
activity at http://thunk.org/hg/e2fsprogs. That's because right after
e2fsprogs 1.40, I have moved the e2fsprogs development activity over to
git. The public repositories can be found here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git

and here:

git://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git
http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git

There are currently two branches, "maint" and "master". Bug-fixes will
go on the maint branch, obvious development updates will go on the
"master" branch. If something requires a longer cooking phase, I will
create "topic" branches and "next" and "pu" branches much like how Junio
manages the git development tree. (The difference between "next" and
"pu" --- proposed updates --- is "maint", "master", and "next" are
guaranteed never to rewind or go "back in time", where as the "pu"
branch will get rewound and is meant for more aggressive experiments.)

People who send me patches that can be more easily merged into the
"maint" or "master" will receive a hundred blessings --- and said
patches will get merged much more quickly. :-)

Patches that don't introduce changes to the ABI will also get accepted
much more quickly; new interfaces need to be considered very carefully,
and existing interfaces NEVER get broken without a major version number
bump of the shared library in question, and that is something we will do
only very cautiously.

- Ted

2007-08-07 16:23:09

by Valerie Clement

Subject: Re: E2fsprogs git tree

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> People may have noticed that e2fsprogs 1.40 and roughly a week later
> e2fsprogs 1.40.1 have been released, while there hasn't been any
> activity at http://thunk.org/hg/e2fsprogs. That's because right after
> e2fsprogs 1.40, I have moved the e2fsprogs development activity over to
> git. The public repositories can be found here:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
>
> and here:
>
> git://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git
> http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git

Hi Ted,

I tried to clone the source tree but it failed.

The command "git-clone
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git" failed with :
"error: Could not interpret tags/APPLE_UUID_SNAP_1 as something to pull"

The command "git-clone http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git" failed with:
"error: Can't lock ref"

Could you have a look at this please?
Thank you very much,
Val?rie

2007-08-07 16:51:10

by Coly Li

Valerie,

How about this:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git

It works for me.

Valerie Clement wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> People may have noticed that e2fsprogs 1.40 and roughly a week later
>> e2fsprogs 1.40.1 have been released, while there hasn't been any
>> activity at http://thunk.org/hg/e2fsprogs. That's because right after
>> e2fsprogs 1.40, I have moved the e2fsprogs development activity over to
>> git. The public repositories can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
>>
>> and here:
>>
>> git://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git
>> http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git
>>

> Hi Ted,
>
> I tried to clone the source tree but it failed.
>
> The command "git-clone
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git" failed with :
> "error: Could not interpret tags/APPLE_UUID_SNAP_1 as something to pull"
>
> The command "git-clone http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git" failed with:
> "error: Can't lock ref"
>
> Could you have a look at this please?
> Thank you very much,
> Val�rie

2007-08-07 17:28:24

by Theodore Ts'o

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 06:23:46PM +0200, Valerie Clement wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> I tried to clone the source tree but it failed.
>
> The command "git-clone
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git" failed with :
> "error: Could not interpret tags/APPLE_UUID_SNAP_1 as something to pull"
>
> The command "git-clone http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git" failed with:
> "error: Can't lock ref"

What version of git are you using? Make sure you are using something
which is at least git 1.5.x.

BTW, the better URL's to use are:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git

or

git clone git://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git

The http walkers are *much* more inefficient. I did try out git-clone
using the http URL's, and it works, but it's slow. The other
possibility is that you have some kind of nasty http transparent proxy
which is corrupting the http protocol stream. This is why the git
transport is seriously the much, much, MUCH better alternative.

- Ted

2007-08-07 17:45:25

by Jose R. Santos

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:28:14 -0400
Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 06:23:46PM +0200, Valerie Clement wrote:
> > Hi Ted,
> >
> > I tried to clone the source tree but it failed.
> >
> > The command "git-clone
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git" failed with :
> > "error: Could not interpret tags/APPLE_UUID_SNAP_1 as something to
> > pull"
> >
> > The command "git-clone http://repo.or.cz/r/e2fsprogs.git" failed
> > with: "error: Can't lock ref"
>
> What version of git are you using? Make sure you are using something
> which is at least git 1.5.x.

I get the same error as Valerie when using version 1.4.4.2. The same
version worked a couple of weeks ago when using the http URL.

> BTW, the better URL's to use are:
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
>
> or
>
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git

This seems to works fine using my older version of git.

> The http walkers are *much* more inefficient. I did try out git-clone
> using the http URL's, and it works, but it's slow. The other
> possibility is that you have some kind of nasty http transparent proxy
> which is corrupting the http protocol stream. This is why the git
> transport is seriously the much, much, MUCH better alternative.
>

> - Ted

-JRS

2007-08-08 08:30:41

by Valerie Clement

Theodore Tso wrote:
> What version of git are you using? Make sure you are using something
> which is at least git 1.5.x.

Thanks for your answer. I'm using an older version of git, 1.4.4.4.
I've never got any problem with it to download a linux kernel tree using
an http URL, but I will update it.

> The http walkers are *much* more inefficient. I did try out git-clone
> using the http URL's, and it works, but it's slow. The other
> possibility is that you have some kind of nasty http transparent proxy
> which is corrupting the http protocol stream. This is why the git
> transport is seriously the much, much, MUCH better alternative.

Yes, we have an http proxy. No problem with it until now.
I will use the git protocol now as you advise me.
Thank you again,

Val?rie

2007-08-08 14:29:52

by Theodore Ts'o

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:39:56PM -0500, Jose R. Santos wrote:
> I get the same error as Valerie when using version 1.4.4.2. The same
> version worked a couple of weeks ago when using the http URL.

I'd strongly advise that you use git 1.5.x and update to use a 1.5
style clone of the repository. It's much, MUCH, easier to use than
git 1.4....

- Ted