2007-10-15 05:33:39

by Coly Li

Subject: question about patch queue and ext4-git

Now in my mind there are several words for ext4 patches, most frequently one are "patch queue".

I see the patches in patch queue from
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/LATEST/broken-out/ .
Also I confirm some of the patches are in ext4 git tree now, but I am not sure for two questions:
1) Whether all the patches are in ext4 git tree ?
2) This patch queue is only used to push ext4 patch into upstream ?

Also there is a patch-queue git at http://repo.or.cz/w/ext4-patch-queue.git , is it same to the
patches in http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/ ?

Thanks for clarifying :-)

--
Coly Li
SuSE PRC Labs

2007-10-15 10:09:57

by Jose R. Santos

Subject: Re: question about patch queue and ext4-git

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:36:05 +0800
Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now in my mind there are several words for ext4 patches, most frequently one are "patch queue".
>
> I see the patches in patch queue from
> http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/LATEST/broken-out/ .
> Also I confirm some of the patches are in ext4 git tree now, but I am not sure for two questions:
> 1) Whether all the patches are in ext4 git tree ?

Yes, all these patches should be in ext4 git tree.

> 2) This patch queue is only used to push ext4 patch into upstream ?

The patch queue series is divided into stable and unstable patches.
The stable patches are the one usually the ones used to push back
upstream, while the unstable section has the patches for development
purposes only and are not ready for pushing upstream (and some may
never make it in).

> Also there is a patch-queue git at http://repo.or.cz/w/ext4-patch-queue.git , is it same to the
> patches in http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/ ?

Same thing bug in git format. I believe Ted updates his patch queue
from the patches in the git tree repo, so if you want latest/greatest
the git tree is what you want.

> Thanks for clarifying :-)

-JRS

2007-10-15 12:44:01

by Coly Li

Thanks for the replying :-)

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:36:05 +0800
> Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Now in my mind there are several words for ext4 patches, most frequently one are "patch queue".
>>
>> I see the patches in patch queue from
>> http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/LATEST/broken-out/ .
>> Also I confirm some of the patches are in ext4 git tree now, but I am not sure for two questions:
>> 1) Whether all the patches are in ext4 git tree ?
>
> Yes, all these patches should be in ext4 git tree.
>
>> 2) This patch queue is only used to push ext4 patch into upstream ?
>
> The patch queue series is divided into stable and unstable patches.
> The stable patches are the one usually the ones used to push back
> upstream, while the unstable section has the patches for development
> purposes only and are not ready for pushing upstream (and some may
> never make it in).

How to recognize which patch is stable patch and which one is unstable patch ?

--
Coly Li
SuSE PRC Labs

2007-10-15 13:21:52

by Jose R. Santos

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:46:32 +0800
Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks for the replying :-)
>
> Jose R. Santos wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:36:05 +0800
> > Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Now in my mind there are several words for ext4 patches, most frequently one are "patch queue".
> >>
> >> I see the patches in patch queue from
> >> http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/LATEST/broken-out/ .
> >> Also I confirm some of the patches are in ext4 git tree now, but I am not sure for two questions:
> >> 1) Whether all the patches are in ext4 git tree ?
> >
> > Yes, all these patches should be in ext4 git tree.
> >
> >> 2) This patch queue is only used to push ext4 patch into upstream ?
> >
> > The patch queue series is divided into stable and unstable patches.
> > The stable patches are the one usually the ones used to push back
> > upstream, while the unstable section has the patches for development
> > purposes only and are not ready for pushing upstream (and some may
> > never make it in).
>
> How to recognize which patch is stable patch and which one is unstable patch ?

Look in the series file. The mark where the stable patches end is
documented there.

> >> Also there is a patch-queue git at http://repo.or.cz/w/ext4-patch-queue.git , is it same to the
> >> patches in http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/ ?
> >
> > Same thing bug in git format. I believe Ted updates his patch queue
> > from the patches in the git tree repo, so if you want latest/greatest
> > the git tree is what you want.
> >
> >> Thanks for clarifying :-)
> >>

> > -JRS

-JRS

2007-10-15 14:26:54

by Coly Li

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:46:32 +0800
> Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replying :-)
>>
>> Jose R. Santos wrote:

>>> Yes, all these patches should be in ext4 git tree.

>>> The patch queue series is divided into stable and unstable patches.
>>> The stable patches are the one usually the ones used to push back
>>> upstream, while the unstable section has the patches for development
>>> purposes only and are not ready for pushing upstream (and some may
>>> never make it in).
>> How to recognize which patch is stable patch and which one is unstable patch ?
>
> Look in the series file. The mark where the stable patches end is
> documented there.

Find it now. Thanks for your explaining :-)

--
Coly Li
SuSE PRC Labs

2007-10-15 22:00:01

by Mingming Cao

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 22:29 +0800, Coly Li wrote:

> Jose R. Santos wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:46:32 +0800
> > Coly Li <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the replying :-)

> >> How to recognize which patch is stable patch and which one is unstable patch ?
> >
> > Look in the series file. The mark where the stable patches end is
> > documented there.
> >
> Find it now. Thanks for your explaining :-)

when a new ext4 patch is being submitted, it first added to the patch
queue on repo.or.cz, where the whole series (stable and unstable
patches) will be tested automatically. After the patches being stablized
a bit, Ted will pull ext4 patches from patch queue from repo.or.cz to
his git tree, and public the current patches in the git tree on
kernel.org.

Also there is a stable-boundary patch being added in repo.or.cz patch
queue to indicating where the unstable patches starts.

Mingming