2008-01-30 17:07:38

by supersud501

Subject: e2fsck ext4 with extents possible?

hello,

i'm testing the ext4-filesystem for months now (no data loss experienced
), but i noticed e2fsck not being able to check a ext4-filesystem with
extents ("e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s)").

i just pulled linus' kernel tree (with the newly added patches to ext4)
and e2fsprogs git tree (from git.kernel.org), but still e2fsprogs is not
able to check my ext4-fs.

so i wonder whether there's somewhere a patch for e2fsprogs flying
around i've missed or whether checking ext4 with extents is simply not
supported yet? if so, how's development going on with this?

2008-01-30 17:31:56

by Eric Sandeen

Subject: Re: e2fsck ext4 with extents possible?

supersud501 wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm testing the ext4-filesystem for months now (no data loss experienced
> ), but i noticed e2fsck not being able to check a ext4-filesystem with
> extents ("e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s)").
>
> i just pulled linus' kernel tree (with the newly added patches to ext4)
> and e2fsprogs git tree (from git.kernel.org), but still e2fsprogs is not
> able to check my ext4-fs.
>
> so i wonder whether there's somewhere a patch for e2fsprogs flying
> around i've missed or whether checking ext4 with extents is simply not
> supported yet? if so, how's development going on with this?

No released e2fsprogs supports ext4 filesystems with new on-disk
features yet; that's partly what the "dev" on the end of "ext4dev.ko" is
for. Ted's working on it.

-Eric

2008-01-30 17:53:25

by Andreas Dilger

On Jan 30, 2008 11:54 +0100, supersud501 wrote:
> i'm testing the ext4-filesystem for months now (no data loss experienced ),
> but i noticed e2fsck not being able to check a ext4-filesystem with extents
> ("e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s)").
>
> i just pulled linus' kernel tree (with the newly added patches to ext4) and
> e2fsprogs git tree (from git.kernel.org), but still e2fsprogs is not able
> to check my ext4-fs.
>
> so i wonder whether there's somewhere a patch for e2fsprogs flying around
> i've missed or whether checking ext4 with extents is simply not supported
> yet? if so, how's development going on with this?

There is an e2fsprogs RPM that can check ext4 filesystems with extents,
available at ftp://ftp.lustre.org/pub/lustre/other/e2fsprogs/ (no
warranties, etc). We've been using this for a while already, and are
working to get the patches incorporated into the upstream e2fsprogs
in the interim while Ted is reimplementing the extents support.

Note the above RPMs contain patches which are NOT related just to ext4
and should not become part of a distro.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

2008-01-30 21:30:27

by supersud501

Andreas Dilger wrote:
> There is an e2fsprogs RPM that can check ext4 filesystems with extents,
> available at ftp://ftp.lustre.org/pub/lustre/other/e2fsprogs/ (no
> warranties, etc).

thanks for your answer. maybe i'll go testing this (haven't had anything
to do with rpm's yet, i'm on ubuntu).

> in the interim while Ted is reimplementing the extents support.

extents are being reimplemented? i think i should read the mailing list
more often to get all the news... or is there any other place to see
what's being worked on?

regards,
supersud501