2008-12-22 05:36:19

by Zhang Xiliang

Subject: Problems with Online Defragmentation (was: Re: bugs of Online Defragmentation)

Hi,

I tested Online Defrag by using the new code.
When I have space left which is less than 40M, I can't use e4defrag function.

Does the Online Defragmentation need some space left which is greater than a value? 40M?

Zhang Xiliang

2008-12-24 02:43:33

by Akira Fujita

Hi,
Zhang Xiliang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested Online Defrag by using the new code.
> When I have space left which is less than 40M, I can't use e4defrag
> function.
>
> Does the Online Defragmentation need some space left which is greater
> than a value? 40M?

Yes. Ext4 online defrag needs more than the target file size.
In this case, your file size might be greater than left space.

If you failed in defrag, -v option might be helpful
to find the reason as follows:

[root@bsd086 KERN]# ./e4defrag -v /mnt/mp1/file1
ext4 defragmentation for /mnt/mp1/file1
[1/1] "/mnt/mp2/WORK/file1"
Defrag size is larger than FileSystem's free space [ NG ]
Success: [0/1]

Regards,
Akira Fujita