2012-07-24 06:49:51

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Subject: "Setting filesystem feature 'metadata_csum' not supported" when trying to enable ext4 metadata checksums

With Linux 3.5, it should be possible to use ext4 metadata checksums;
enabling of which should be made with the following command:

# tune2fs -O metadata_csum /dev/sda1
tune2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
Setting filesystem feature 'metadata_csum' not supported.

Running kernel 3.5, tried the latest e2fsprogs from git.

What am I missing here?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://blog.wpkg.org

2012-07-24 07:41:19

by Zheng Liu

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 01:41:08PM +0700, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> With Linux 3.5, it should be possible to use ext4 metadata
> checksums; enabling of which should be made with the following
> command:
>

> # tune2fs -O metadata_csum /dev/sda1
> tune2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
> Setting filesystem feature 'metadata_csum' not supported.
>

> Running kernel 3.5, tried the latest e2fsprogs from git.

Hi Tomasz,

Could you please checkout the 'pu' branch in e2fsprogs? You need to
use pu branch of e2fsprogs because the patches of metadata checksum
for e2fsprogs are in this branch.

BTW, until 3.5 kernel, it seems that metadata checksum still has a bug.
Here is a patch to fix this bug [1].

1. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg32685.html

Regards,
Zheng

2012-07-24 08:51:32

by Tomasz Chmielewski

On 07/24/2012 02:50 PM, Zheng Liu wrote:

> Could you please checkout the 'pu' branch in e2fsprogs? You need to
> use pu branch of e2fsprogs because the patches of metadata checksum
> for e2fsprogs are in this branch.
>
> BTW, until 3.5 kernel, it seems that metadata checksum still has a bug.
> Here is a patch to fix this bug [1].
>
> 1. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg32685.html

OK, tried with pu branch and got this:

root@s9:/usr/src/e2fsprogs# misc/tune2fs -O metadata_csum /dev/sda1
tune2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
rewrite_directory: Unknown code kJe 176 while rewriting directories

Expected?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://blog.wpkg.org

2012-07-24 09:36:08

by Zheng Liu

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 03:51:21PM +0700, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> On 07/24/2012 02:50 PM, Zheng Liu wrote:
>
> >Could you please checkout the 'pu' branch in e2fsprogs? You need to
> >use pu branch of e2fsprogs because the patches of metadata checksum
> >for e2fsprogs are in this branch.
> >
> >BTW, until 3.5 kernel, it seems that metadata checksum still has a bug.
> >Here is a patch to fix this bug [1].
> >
> >1. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg32685.html
>
> OK, tried with pu branch and got this:
>
> root@s9:/usr/src/e2fsprogs# misc/tune2fs -O metadata_csum /dev/sda1
> tune2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
> rewrite_directory: Unknown code kJe 176 while rewriting directories
>
> Expected?

No, it seems that it is not our expectation. Could you please provide
more information? Such as feature list. Use "debugfs -R
'stats' /dev/${DEVICE}" to get it, please.

Regards,
Zheng

2012-07-24 10:32:27

by Tomasz Chmielewski

On 07/24/2012 04:44 PM, Zheng Liu wrote:

>> root@s9:/usr/src/e2fsprogs# misc/tune2fs -O metadata_csum /dev/sda1
>> tune2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
>> rewrite_directory: Unknown code kJe 176 while rewriting directories
>>
>> Expected?
>
> No, it seems that it is not our expectation. Could you please provide
> more information? Such as feature list. Use "debugfs -R
> 'stats' /dev/${DEVICE}" to get it, please.

The file is over 200 kB, so uploaded it here:

http://blog.wpkg.org/debugfs-stats.txt

--
Tomasz Chmielewski