2013-03-08 17:24:19

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Ext4 developer's get-together at Collaboration Summit/LSFMM

I've confirmed with Angela that we will have a room at Collaboration
Summit on Wednesday, April 17th. We'll have the room starting at
11:30am to 4:30pm. If you plan to come, please let know so I can have
an accurate count.

Since Andreas won't be able to make it, I'm also planning to schedule a
short time for us to chat on Friday. Since the schedule for the LSF
hasn't been finalized yet, stay tuned. If there is a BOF time on Friday
afternoon, that's probably when I'll try to schedule something.
Otherwise, we'll try for either during lunch or dinner on Friday.

Cheers,

- Ted

2013-03-08 18:06:32

by Ric Wheeler

On 03/08/2013 12:24 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I've confirmed with Angela that we will have a room at Collaboration
> Summit on Wednesday, April 17th. We'll have the room starting at
> 11:30am to 4:30pm. If you plan to come, please let know so I can have
> an accurate count.
>
> Since Andreas won't be able to make it, I'm also planning to schedule a
> short time for us to chat on Friday. Since the schedule for the LSF
> hasn't been finalized yet, stay tuned. If there is a BOF time on Friday
> afternoon, that's probably when I'll try to schedule something.
> Otherwise, we'll try for either during lunch or dinner on Friday.
>
> Cheers,

Any chance to move this time slot to the morning or, even better, an earlier day
in the week?

We have a track on IO & file systems that this overlaps with on Wednesday.
Updates from FusionIO on their new, byte addressable parts and an open source
file system and a panel at the end of the day for LSF people who are at both....

ric

2013-03-08 18:53:58

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 01:06:29PM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> Any chance to move this time slot to the morning or, even better, an
> earlier day in the week?
>
> We have a track on IO & file systems that this overlaps with on
> Wednesday. Updates from FusionIO on their new, byte addressable
> parts and an open source file system and a panel at the end of the
> day for LSF people who are at both....

I got a request for people to hold it on Wednesday so that people
didn't have to fly out early before LSF, which I'm sure is the same
reason why you're having the track on I/O and filesystems on
Wednesday. :-)

I did look at the schedule, and I deliberately scheduled things so we
would end before the panel at the end of the day, since I assumed
people would want to listen to that.

As for the rest of the day, I had taken a quick look at the schedule
for Collab Summit, and I didn't see any obvious conflicts; I had
assumed the NVM talk would be another "phase change memory (or some
other resistive memory) that has the random write speed of DRAM, the
random read speeed of Flash, the cost per megabyte of HDD's, and the
with infinite write endurance is coming around the corner, and will
only be two years out so we should start redesigning and rewriting the
kernel and file systems now" --- i.e., the same thing we've been
hearing for the past decade, if not longer. :-)

But if people need to speak at some of these slots, or are very much
interested in attending we can certainly talk about trying to move
things around to accomodate people's schedule and desire to attend
Collab Summit talks.

What do people think?

- Ted

2013-03-08 19:32:46

by Ric Wheeler

On 03/08/2013 01:53 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 01:06:29PM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> Any chance to move this time slot to the morning or, even better, an
>> earlier day in the week?
>>
>> We have a track on IO & file systems that this overlaps with on
>> Wednesday. Updates from FusionIO on their new, byte addressable
>> parts and an open source file system and a panel at the end of the
>> day for LSF people who are at both....
> I got a request for people to hold it on Wednesday so that people
> didn't have to fly out early before LSF, which I'm sure is the same
> reason why you're having the track on I/O and filesystems on
> Wednesday. :-)

Guilty!

> I did look at the schedule, and I deliberately scheduled things so we
> would end before the panel at the end of the day, since I assumed
> people would want to listen to that.
>
> As for the rest of the day, I had taken a quick look at the schedule
> for Collab Summit, and I didn't see any obvious conflicts; I had
> assumed the NVM talk would be another "phase change memory (or some
> other resistive memory) that has the random write speed of DRAM, the
> random read speeed of Flash, the cost per megabyte of HDD's, and the
> with infinite write endurance is coming around the corner, and will
> only be two years out so we should start redesigning and rewriting the
> kernel and file systems now" --- i.e., the same thing we've been
> hearing for the past decade, if not longer. :-)

That is probably a good talk to attend - they do have a file system
implementation that Nisha is promising to open source. They also have some
device level API's that they want to propose. It would be great to get the key
ext* people to sit in on that :)

> But if people need to speak at some of these slots, or are very much
> interested in attending we can certainly talk about trying to move
> things around to accomodate people's schedule and desire to attend
> Collab Summit talks.
>
> What do people think?
>
> - Ted

2013-03-13 12:00:09

by Jan Kara

On Fri 08-03-13 12:24:12, Ted Tso wrote:

> I've confirmed with Angela that we will have a room at Collaboration
> Summit on Wednesday, April 17th. We'll have the room starting at
> 11:30am to 4:30pm. If you plan to come, please let know so I can have
> an accurate count.
I plan to come. BTW, I arrive to SF on Monday afternoon so I can manage
shifting the meeting to Tuesday as well. Regarding conflict with Collab
summit meetings - the schedule seems to be inaccessible for last two days
so I cannot really check that.

> Since Andreas won't be able to make it, I'm also planning to schedule a
> short time for us to chat on Friday. Since the schedule for the LSF
> hasn't been finalized yet, stay tuned. If there is a BOF time on Friday
> afternoon, that's probably when I'll try to schedule something.
> Otherwise, we'll try for either during lunch or dinner on Friday.
I leave on Friday evening so dinner would be too late for me. But I don't
have to be there if that time is ok for others.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2013-03-13 16:05:28

by Eric Sandeen

On 3/13/13 7:00 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Fri 08-03-13 12:24:12, Ted Tso wrote:
>>
>> I've confirmed with Angela that we will have a room at Collaboration
>> Summit on Wednesday, April 17th. We'll have the room starting at
>> 11:30am to 4:30pm. If you plan to come, please let know so I can have
>> an accurate count.
> I plan to come. BTW, I arrive to SF on Monday afternoon so I can manage
> shifting the meeting to Tuesday as well. Regarding conflict with Collab
> summit meetings - the schedule seems to be inaccessible for last two days
> so I cannot really check that.

I get in 9am Tuesday, FWIW. So as long as its' after 10:30am Tues or so,
I can make it.

-Eric

>> Since Andreas won't be able to make it, I'm also planning to schedule a
>> short time for us to chat on Friday. Since the schedule for the LSF
>> hasn't been finalized yet, stay tuned. If there is a BOF time on Friday
>> afternoon, that's probably when I'll try to schedule something.
>> Otherwise, we'll try for either during lunch or dinner on Friday.
> I leave on Friday evening so dinner would be too late for me. But I don't
> have to be there if that time is ok for others.
>
> Honza

2013-03-13 16:14:34

by Lukas Czerner

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:04:40 -0500
> From: Eric Sandeen <[email protected]>
> To: Jan Kara <[email protected]>
> Cc: Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Ext4 developer's get-together at Collaboration Summit/LSFMM
>
> On 3/13/13 7:00 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> > On Fri 08-03-13 12:24:12, Ted Tso wrote:
> >>
> >> I've confirmed with Angela that we will have a room at Collaboration
> >> Summit on Wednesday, April 17th. We'll have the room starting at
> >> 11:30am to 4:30pm. If you plan to come, please let know so I can have
> >> an accurate count.
> > I plan to come. BTW, I arrive to SF on Monday afternoon so I can manage
> > shifting the meeting to Tuesday as well. Regarding conflict with Collab
> > summit meetings - the schedule seems to be inaccessible for last two days
> > so I cannot really check that.
>
> I get in 9am Tuesday, FWIW. So as long as its' after 10:30am Tues or so,
> I can make it.
>
> -Eric

I get in on Saturday 13 and I do not have any strong preference over
the date/time except what was mentioned by Ric already, that topic seems
interesting.

-Lukas

> >> Since Andreas won't be able to make it, I'm also planning to schedule a
> >> short time for us to chat on Friday. Since the schedule for the LSF
> >> hasn't been finalized yet, stay tuned. If there is a BOF time on Friday
> >> afternoon, that's probably when I'll try to schedule something.
> >> Otherwise, we'll try for either during lunch or dinner on Friday.
> > I leave on Friday evening so dinner would be too late for me. But I don't
> > have to be there if that time is ok for others.
> >
> > Honza

by Theodore Ts'o

OK, can those people who are coming send a note answering the following questions:

1) What time do you arrive / would you be available to attend the ext4
workshop on Tueday?

2) What sessions (please give the time slots) on Wednesday are you
interested in attending?

For reference, the schedule is available here:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/schedule

And here are the sessions on the FS/MM track:

9-10am Host-Based Disk-Mirroring with MD on Mainframe
10-11am Persistent Memory and Linux: New Storage Technologies and Interfaces
11:30-12:30 Using OpenLMI to Manage Storage
2-3pm The Receiving End of printk - netconsole, blockconsole, cancd
3-4pm NVM Software Interfaces: New Directions

My assumption had always been that most of the Collab Summit talks
were pretty technically lightweight[1], so other than the 4:30pm
panel, there would be a huge amount of conflict. But Ric assures me
that at least some of these talks might actually have good stuff. :-)

Thanks!!

- Ted

[1] Which is not a criticism; there are lots of users and system
administrators and I/T managers who need to hear stuff that we've
heard 100 times before, so it was just an assumption that most of the
ext4 developers wouldn't be interested.

2013-03-13 17:21:27

by Jan Kara

On Wed 13-03-13 13:11:30, Ted Tso wrote:
> OK, can those people who are coming send a note answering the following questions:
>
> 1) What time do you arrive / would you be available to attend the ext4
> workshop on Tueday?
As I said, I arrive Monday afternoon. So yes, Tuesday is OK with me.

> 2) What sessions (please give the time slots) on Wednesday are you
> interested in attending?
Nothing really critical, but if Ric promises talk at 3pm will be
interesting then I might have a peek there ;) But ext4 get-together has a
priority for me.

> For reference, the schedule is available here:
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/schedule
Somehow the connection to collaborationsummit2013.sched.org always
timeouts for me. Strange.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2013-03-13 17:39:46

by Darrick J. Wong

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 01:11:30PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> OK, can those people who are coming send a note answering the following questions:
>
> 1) What time do you arrive / would you be available to attend the ext4
> workshop on Tueday?
>
> 2) What sessions (please give the time slots) on Wednesday are you
> interested in attending?

Tuesday (16th) does not work for me (I probably won't even make it to SF that
day), but Wednesday is fine.

--D

> For reference, the schedule is available here:
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/schedule
>
> And here are the sessions on the FS/MM track:
>
> 9-10am Host-Based Disk-Mirroring with MD on Mainframe
> 10-11am Persistent Memory and Linux: New Storage Technologies and Interfaces
> 11:30-12:30 Using OpenLMI to Manage Storage
> 2-3pm The Receiving End of printk - netconsole, blockconsole, cancd
> 3-4pm NVM Software Interfaces: New Directions
>
> My assumption had always been that most of the Collab Summit talks
> were pretty technically lightweight[1], so other than the 4:30pm
> panel, there would be a huge amount of conflict. But Ric assures me
> that at least some of these talks might actually have good stuff. :-)
>
> Thanks!!
>
> - Ted
>
> [1] Which is not a criticism; there are lots of users and system
> administrators and I/T managers who need to hear stuff that we've
> heard 100 times before, so it was just an assumption that most of the
> ext4 developers wouldn't be interested.

by Tao Ma

On 03/14/2013 01:11 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> OK, can those people who are coming send a note answering the following questions:
>
> 1) What time do you arrive / would you be available to attend the ext4
> workshop on Tueday?
We(Zheng and I) will arrive on Saturday, so all the time during
collaboration summit should be fine for us.

> 2) What sessions (please give the time slots) on Wednesday are you
> interested in attending?
>
> For reference, the schedule is available here:
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/schedule
>
> And here are the sessions on the FS/MM track:
>
> 9-10am Host-Based Disk-Mirroring with MD on Mainframe
> 10-11am Persistent Memory and Linux: New Storage Technologies and Interfaces
> 11:30-12:30 Using OpenLMI to Manage Storage
> 2-3pm The Receiving End of printk - netconsole, blockconsole, cancd
> 3-4pm NVM Software Interfaces: New Directions
>
> My assumption had always been that most of the Collab Summit talks
> were pretty technically lightweight[1], so other than the 4:30pm
> panel, there would be a huge amount of conflict. But Ric assures me
> that at least some of these talks might actually have good stuff. :-)
Top 1,2 and 5 seems to be interesting if it really cover something that
we should know about. ;)

Thanks,
Tao