2015-03-19 00:56:45

by Allison Henderson

Subject: fs corruption recovery

Hi all,

I've had some internal folks contact me for help with some customers
that are having file system corruption woes. It's been so long since
I've done any work on ext3/4 code it's hard for me to advise. So I told
them I would run the situation by the folks on these mailing lists to
see if I can generate some more ideas for them.

They have a 17 TB ext3 file system on rhel 6.5. Upon reboot, the system
was not able to come up and reported errors with the super block. Right
now, getting the machine to boot is not a critical as just recovering
customer data. They are able to boot a rescue disk to run fsck and they
report that it ran for a short while and showed a lot of inode errors,
but eventually it seg faulted. They can re-run the tool, and they were
able to progress further on repeated runs, but they do not seem to be
able to get further than about 75%. They do not have the fsck core at
this point in time, but I'm guessing the tool is likely running out of
memory for a file system that large, and they say they are using an old
fsck (from 2010). They report having run fsck successfully on large
file systems in the past, but normally the machine has 24GB, and this
one has only 16GB due to a bad dim. The plan at the moment is for them
to fix the bad dim and try the latest fsck.

So the questions they had that I am hoping to get help for is are there
any other options they can try for data recovery? I am hoping that the
extra memory and the updated fsck might be able to complete, but I'm not
sure what has changed in the tool since then. I can assist them to
collect more information/cores. Any help is appreciated! Thx!

Allison Henderson

2015-03-19 00:59:55

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: fs corruption recovery

I think that running a 17TB filesystem on ext3 is a recipe for disaster. They should use ext4 for anything larger than 16TB.

Upgrading e2fsprogs to the latest 1.42.12 is also strongly advised.

Cheers, Andreas

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 18:56, Allison Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've had some internal folks contact me for help with some customers that are having file system corruption woes. It's been so long since I've done any work on ext3/4 code it's hard for me to advise. So I told them I would run the situation by the folks on these mailing lists to see if I can generate some more ideas for them.
>
> They have a 17 TB ext3 file system on rhel 6.5. Upon reboot, the system was not able to come up and reported errors with the super block. Right now, getting the machine to boot is not a critical as just recovering customer data. They are able to boot a rescue disk to run fsck and they report that it ran for a short while and showed a lot of inode errors, but eventually it seg faulted. They can re-run the tool, and they were able to progress further on repeated runs, but they do not seem to be able to get further than about 75%. They do not have the fsck core at this point in time, but I'm guessing the tool is likely running out of memory for a file system that large, and they say they are using an old fsck (from 2010). They report having run fsck successfully on large file systems
in the past, but normally the machine has 24GB, and this one has only 16GB due to a bad dim. The plan at the moment is for them to fix the bad dim and try the latest fsck.

> So the questions they had that I am hoping to get help for is are there any other options they can try for data recovery? I am hoping that the extra memory and the updated fsck might be able to complete, but I'm not sure what has changed in the tool since then. I can assist them to collect more information/cores. Any help is appreciated! Thx!
>
> Allison Henderson

by Eric Sandeen

On 3/18/15 7:59 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> I think that running a 17TB filesystem on ext3 is a recipe for disaster. They should use ext4 for anything larger than 16TB.

Not only that - impossible, unless you have > 4k page sizes and > 4k blocks.

# mkfs.ext3: Size of device fsfile too big to be expressed in 32 bits
using a blocksize of 4096.

Are they doing something clever on PPC w/ 64k blocks?

-Eric

> Upgrading e2fsprogs to the latest 1.42.12 is also strongly advised.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
>
>> On Mar 18, 2015, at 18:56, Allison Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've had some internal folks contact me for help with some
>> customers that are having file system corruption woes. It's been so
>> long since I've done any work on ext3/4 code it's hard for me to
>> advise. So I told them I would run the situation by the folks on
>> these mailing lists to see if I can generate some more ideas for
>> them.
>>
>> They have a 17 TB ext3 file system on rhel 6.5. Upon reboot, the
>> system was not able to come up and reported errors with the super
>> block. Right now, getting the machine to boot is not a critical as
>> just recovering customer data. They are able to boot a rescue disk
>> to run fsck and they report that it ran for a short while and
>> showed a lot of inode errors, but eventually it seg faulted. They
>> can re-run the tool, and they were able to progress further on
>> repeated runs, but they do not seem to be able to get further than
>> about 75%. They do not have the fsck core at this point in time,
>> but I'm guessing the tool is likely running out of memory for a
>> file system that large, and they say they are using an old fsck
>> (from 2010). They report having run fsck successfully on large file
>> systems in the past, but normally the machine has 24GB, and this
>> one has only 16GB due to a bad dim. The plan at the moment is for
>> them to fix the bad dim and try the latest fsck.
>>
>> So the questions they had that I am hoping to get help for is are
>> there any other options they can try for data recovery? I am hoping
>> that the extra memory and the updated fsck might be able to
>> complete, but I'm not sure what has changed in the tool since then.
>> I can assist them to collect more information/cores. Any help is
>> appreciated! Thx!
>>
>> Allison Henderson
>>
>> --

by Theodore Ts'o

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 06:59:52PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> I think that running a 17TB filesystem on ext3 is a recipe for disaster. They should use ext4 for anything larger than 16TB.

It's not *possible* to have a 17TB file system with ext3. Something
must be very wrong there. 16TB is the maximum you can have before you
end up overflowing a 32-bit block number. Unless this is a PowerPC
with a 16K block size or some such?

If e2fsck is segfaulting, then I would certainly try getting the
latest version of e2fsprogs, just in case the problem isn't just that
it's running out of memory. Also if recovering customer data is the
most important thing, the first thing they should do is a make image
copy of the file system, since it's possible that incorrect use of
e2fsck, or an old/buggy version of e2fsck could make things work.

In particular, if they are seeing errors with multply claimed inodes,
it's likely that part of the inode table was written to the wrong
place, and sometimes a skilled human being can get more data than
simply using e2fsck -y and praying. At the end of the day the
question is how much is the customer data work and how much effort is
the customer / IBM willing to invest in trying to get every last bit
of data back?

- Ted

2015-03-20 05:47:23

by Allison Henderson

On 03/19/2015 06:47 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 06:59:52PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> I think that running a 17TB filesystem on ext3 is a recipe for disaster. They should use ext4 for anything larger than 16TB.
>
> It's not *possible* to have a 17TB file system with ext3. Something
> must be very wrong there. 16TB is the maximum you can have before you
> end up overflowing a 32-bit block number. Unless this is a PowerPC
> with a 16K block size or some such?
>
> If e2fsck is segfaulting, then I would certainly try getting the
> latest version of e2fsprogs, just in case the problem isn't just that
> it's running out of memory. Also if recovering customer data is the
> most important thing, the first thing they should do is a make image
> copy of the file system, since it's possible that incorrect use of
> e2fsck, or an old/buggy version of e2fsck could make things work.
>
> In particular, if they are seeing errors with multply claimed inodes,
> it's likely that part of the inode table was written to the wrong
> place, and sometimes a skilled human being can get more data than
> simply using e2fsck -y and praying. At the end of the day the
> question is how much is the customer data work and how much effort is
> the customer / IBM willing to invest in trying to get every last bit
> of data back?
>
> - Ted

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, our email servers went down for a bit after I sent
the email. I will work with Marcel to find the block size, page size
and arch. It is my understanding they they have a contract with this
customer to maintain this data, so there is pressure to recover it.
Unfortunately the product mirrored the fs corruption to the back up
device before the corruption was discovered. I've been told that I was
the only person they could find left that had some background with
ext3/4, so I have an inkling that the "skilled human being" might end up
being me, even though its been a while since I've worked with it. :-)
Maybe I could poke into the inode table and see what I can figure out.
We will be sure to make image backups though. Thx a bunch for the feed
back, we really appreciate the help! I will keep folks updated when I
have more info. Thx!

Allison Henderson

2015-03-20 18:45:12

by Darrick J. Wong

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:47:17PM -0700, Allison Henderson wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 06:47 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 06:59:52PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >>I think that running a 17TB filesystem on ext3 is a recipe for disaster. They should use ext4 for anything larger than 16TB.
> >
> >It's not *possible* to have a 17TB file system with ext3. Something
> >must be very wrong there. 16TB is the maximum you can have before you
> >end up overflowing a 32-bit block number. Unless this is a PowerPC
> >with a 16K block size or some such?
> >
> >If e2fsck is segfaulting, then I would certainly try getting the
> >latest version of e2fsprogs, just in case the problem isn't just that
> >it's running out of memory. Also if recovering customer data is the
> >most important thing, the first thing they should do is a make image
> >copy of the file system, since it's possible that incorrect use of
> >e2fsck, or an old/buggy version of e2fsck could make things work.

...make things *worse*.

> >In particular, if they are seeing errors with multply claimed inodes,
> >it's likely that part of the inode table was written to the wrong
> >place, and sometimes a skilled human being can get more data than
> >simply using e2fsck -y and praying. At the end of the day the
> >question is how much is the customer data work and how much effort is
> >the customer / IBM willing to invest in trying to get every last bit
> >of data back?
> >
> > - Ted
> >

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the delay, our email servers went down for a bit after I
> sent the email. I will work with Marcel to find the block size,
> page size and arch. It is my understanding they they have a

Just guessing PPC, in which case you'll really want an e2fsck released after
the giant heaps of bugfixes I've sent over the last year. There were a lot
of bugs that only show up on bigendian systems, which probably don't get
much testing nowadays.

Even if it's a 17179869184 byte ext3 FS on x86, you're probably still better
off with a less buggy e2fsck. There are a number of fixes to prevent the
crosslinked file fixer and the directory fixer from doing insane things to
the FS.

> contract with this customer to maintain this data, so there is
> pressure to recover it. Unfortunately the product mirrored the fs
> corruption to the back up device before the corruption was
> discovered. I've been told that I was the only person they could
> find left that had some background with ext3/4, so I have an inkling

Yep. ;)

> that the "skilled human being" might end up being me, even though
> its been a while since I've worked with it. :-) Maybe I could poke
> into the inode table and see what I can figure out. We will be sure
> to make image backups though. Thx a bunch for the feed back, we
> really appreciate the help! I will keep folks updated when I have
> more info. Thx!

If you have LVM or other volume management, please take a snapshot and fsck the
snapshot first, so you can capture a log of what happens without blasting away
at existing data.

--D