2012-11-06 04:36:20

by Ashish Sangwan

Subject: Fwd: What should be the optimum value of G (number-of-groups) when using flex_bg?

We have a 2TB HDD which we formated using default options of mkfs.ext4(v1.42.6).
I took around ~15 seconds to complete this operation.

Than we formatted the same partition with "-G 1024" and there was
around 30% performance improvement in
the mkfs.ext4 timings.

Than, out of curiosity, we increased the G's value to 1048576 and
there was a drastic degradation in the performance of mkfs.ext4.
It took more than 5 minutes to complete the execution.

Is it the expected behavior?

AFAIK flex_bg is on by default with G's vaule as 16. Can we consider
this the optimum value?

Any suggesstions on what we can set the Gs value for a 2TB HDD such
that both the FS and the
mkfs.ext4 gives optimum performance?
It would be really helpful if somebody can shed some light over this feature.

Thanks,
Ashish

2012-11-07 12:02:26

by Andreas Dilger

On 2012-11-05, at 9:36 PM, Ashish Sangwan wrote:
> We have a 2TB HDD which we formated using default options of mkfs.ext4(v1.42.6).
> I took around ~15 seconds to complete this operation.
>
> Than we formatted the same partition with "-G 1024" and there was
> around 30% performance improvement in
> the mkfs.ext4 timings.
>
> Than, out of curiosity, we increased the G's value to 1048576 and
> there was a drastic degradation in the performance of mkfs.ext4.
> It took more than 5 minutes to complete the execution.
>
> Is it the expected behavior?

The optimum number is very workload specific. We use "-G 256" and
a few other options so that the number of metadata blocks per group
is a multiple of 1MB and aligned on 1MB boundaries. This is for
optimized IO on RAID-6 storage that has good IO performance with 1MB
chunk sizes.

> AFAIK flex_bg is on by default with G's vaule as 16. Can we consider
> this the optimum value?
>
> Any suggesstions on what we can set the Gs value for a 2TB HDD such
> that both the FS and the
> mkfs.ext4 gives optimum performance?
> It would be really helpful if somebody can shed some light over this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Cheers, Andreas