2009-08-03 19:39:01

by Doug Hunley

Subject: ok to stop e4defrag?

I started e4defrag against /dev/md3 on Jul 31 in a screen session, and
it's still running. I've got a few things coming up shortly that are
gonna require me to reboot this machine, but I'm not sure if its 'ok'
to CTRL-C the e4defrag window or not. Advice? Also, how can I tell
what it's currently working on? I passed the '-v' switch but I've not
seen any progress indicators in the screen session.
Thanks.

--
Douglas J Hunley, RHCT
[email protected] : http://douglasjhunley.com : Twitter: @hunleyd

Obsessively opposed to the typical.

2009-08-04 09:41:48

by Stephan Kulow

Subject: Re: ok to stop e4defrag?

Montag 03 August 2009 sent Doug Hunley:
> I started e4defrag against /dev/md3 on Jul 31 in a screen session, and
> it's still running. I've got a few things coming up shortly that are
> gonna require me to reboot this machine, but I'm not sure if its 'ok'
> to CTRL-C the e4defrag window or not. Advice? Also, how can I tell
> what it's currently working on? I passed the '-v' switch but I've not
> seen any progress indicators in the screen session.

It works fine here and it even outputs progress when not started with -v :)

I _think_ it's still reading the informations of your file system in when
it's not showing any progress.

And yes, there is little chance that you will break something in Ctrl-C
as all dangerous operations are atomic to user space. But don't sue me if I'm
wrong :)

Greetings, Stephan