2008-11-02 21:48:41

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: The default assignee for the ext4 component goes nowhere

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:42:04 -0500 "Theodore Ts'o" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The default assignee for bugs filed against the ext4 component is
> [email protected], which is a black hole. (It's an invalid
> e-mail address.) Sami, Fran__ois, my apologies for no one paying
> attention to your bug reports --- we didn't see them. :-/
>
> Could we please set the default asignee for bugs filed against the ext4
> component to be set to [email protected], please? Otherwise,
> people who file ext4 bugs may find that they end up going into a black
> hole, unless they remember to also file a pointer to the ext4 mailing
> list.
>
> Currently bugs filed against ext3 are going to [email protected] --- Andrew,
> do you mind if ext3 bugs also get sent to [email protected], so
> more people can get a heads-up about ext3 bugs that are reported by
> people going through the bugzilla interface?

Go wild.

I think the normal way of doing this is to create an account at bugzilla
called [email protected] then you can log in using that account
and add it to various assignees using the "users to watch" feature.

2008-11-02 23:08:09

by Theodore Ts'o

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 01:48:03PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I think the normal way of doing this is to create an account at bugzilla
> called [email protected] then you can log in using that account
> and add it to various assignees using the "users to watch" feature.

Ah, so the [email protected] is really a bugzilla
pseudo-user? But for the ext3 component was set to assign bugs to you
by default, as opposed to creating a fs_ext3 pseudo-user?

I'm just trying to figure out how the bugzilla system is supposed to
be working...

- Ted

2008-11-03 03:33:12

by Andrew Morton

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:08:06 -0500 Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 01:48:03PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > I think the normal way of doing this is to create an account at bugzilla
> > called [email protected] then you can log in using that account
> > and add it to various assignees using the "users to watch" feature.
>
> Ah, so the [email protected] is really a bugzilla
> pseudo-user?

I guess so.

> But for the ext3 component was set to assign bugs to you
> by default, as opposed to creating a fs_ext3 pseudo-user?

Ah. We'll need to change that. You don't want all my bugzilla traffic
landing on linux-ext4 :)

> I'm just trying to figure out how the bugzilla system is supposed to
> be working...

I'm far from a definitive source on that matter.

I'm not sure who's reading bugme-admin at present.

2008-11-03 07:01:49

by Martin Bligh

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 18:08:06 -0500 Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 01:48:03PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> >
>> > I think the normal way of doing this is to create an account at bugzilla
>> > called [email protected] then you can log in using that account
>> > and add it to various assignees using the "users to watch" feature.
>>
>> Ah, so the [email protected] is really a bugzilla
>> pseudo-user?
>
> I guess so.

It is. That way we can have multiple people administer a category, etc.

>> But for the ext3 component was set to assign bugs to you
>> by default, as opposed to creating a fs_ext3 pseudo-user?
>
> Ah. We'll need to change that. You don't want all my bugzilla traffic
> landing on linux-ext4 :)

You want me to create another pseudo user? is easy to do.

>> I'm just trying to figure out how the bugzilla system is supposed to
>> be working...
>
> I'm far from a definitive source on that matter.
>
> I'm not sure who's reading bugme-admin at present.

The planned way of doing things is basically to have a pseudo-user for
each category. Then anyone who is interested can just set up an email
watch on that psuedo user (go under "Prefs" then select email preferences
tab).

Some "legacy" ones are set up to still go directly to one user.

A (very) few people have requested mailing lists get cc'ed on some
categories, for which we've set up mailing list users, and had them
watch the categories too.

2008-11-03 13:26:27

by Theodore Ts'o

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:01:47PM -0800, Martin Bligh wrote:
> >> But for the ext3 component was set to assign bugs to you
> >> by default, as opposed to creating a fs_ext3 pseudo-user?
> >
> > Ah. We'll need to change that. You don't want all my bugzilla traffic
> > landing on linux-ext4 :)
>
> You want me to create another pseudo user? is easy to do.

OK, could you please add a pseudo user for the ext3 category. That
way we can have both akpm and linux-ext4 watch that category.
Thanks!!

- Ted

2008-11-03 15:53:08

by Martin Bligh

Done for ext3 and ext2 as well

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Theodore Tso <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Ah. We'll need to change that. You don't want all my bugzilla traffic
>> > landing on linux-ext4 :)
>>
>> You want me to create another pseudo user? is easy to do.
>
> OK, could you please add a pseudo user for the ext3 category. That
> way we can have both akpm and linux-ext4 watch that category.
> Thanks!!
>
> - Ted

2008-11-03 16:59:53

by Eric Sandeen

Martin Bligh wrote:
> A (very) few people have requested mailing lists get cc'ed on some
> categories, for which we've set up mailing list users, and had them
> watch the categories too.

I think this makes sense for ext4 (I think xfs was one of those few;
bugs go to [email protected] for that category IIRC) so at least
people see them.

Would anyone on linux-ext4 disagree with setting up the list to watch
the ext3 & ext4 categories?

-Eric

2008-11-03 18:23:13

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:58:44AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Martin Bligh wrote:
> > A (very) few people have requested mailing lists get cc'ed on some
> > categories, for which we've set up mailing list users, and had them
> > watch the categories too.
>
> I think this makes sense for ext4 (I think xfs was one of those few;
> bugs go to [email protected] for that category IIRC) so at least
> people see them.
>
> Would anyone on linux-ext4 disagree with setting up the list to watch
> the ext3 & ext4 categories?

On the theory that it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get
permission :-), I've subscribed [email protected] org to the
ext2, ext3, and ext4 categories. If this result in too much e-mail,
folks can complain and we can cut things back.

- Ted