2009-06-04 19:50:31

by Szabolcs Szakacsits

Subject: EXT3: filename duplicates

Hi,

When testing file creation performance we noticed that sometimes ext3
getdents64(2) lists some files twice. For instance after creating
filesnames from 1 to 1000000 in an empty directory:

find | grep ./976253
./976253
./976253

This is 100% reproducible. Kernel is 2.6.25.5, x86_64.

Sorry if this was already known and fixed (couldn't find relevant info in
the archives, changelogs).

Regards,
Szaka

--
NTFS-3G: http://ntfs-3g.org

2009-06-08 18:49:38

by Jan Kara

Subject: Re: EXT3: filename duplicates

Hello,

> When testing file creation performance we noticed that sometimes ext3
> getdents64(2) lists some files twice. For instance after creating
> filesnames from 1 to 1000000 in an empty directory:
>
> find | grep ./976253
> ./976253
> ./976253
>
> This is 100% reproducible. Kernel is 2.6.25.5, x86_64.
>
> Sorry if this was already known and fixed (couldn't find relevant info in
> the archives, changelogs).
2.6.28 and newer kernels should have this bug fixed.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SuSE CR Labs

2009-09-21 16:52:25

by Eric Sandeen

Szabolcs Szakacsits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When testing file creation performance we noticed that sometimes ext3
> getdents64(2) lists some files twice. For instance after creating
> filesnames from 1 to 1000000 in an empty directory:
>
> find | grep ./976253
> ./976253
> ./976253
>
> This is 100% reproducible. Kernel is 2.6.25.5, x86_64.
>
> Sorry if this was already known and fixed (couldn't find relevant info in
> the archives, changelogs).

these 2 should have fixed it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=6a897cf447a83c9c3fd1b85a1e525c02d6eada7d
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8c9fa93d51123c5540762b1a9e1919d6f9c4af7c