2012-11-08 20:03:51

by Mark Casey

Subject: Question on resize2fs with "combination of flex_bg and !resize_inode"

Ted,

Regarding this patch to resize2fs:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/7379

In reading the comment, I was wondering if this problem scenario can
also happen when shrinking an ext4 filesystem with this combination of
features, or if it is only likely to be a problem when growing it?

Thank you,
Mark

2012-11-08 23:03:12

by Theodore Ts'o

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 02:03:38PM -0600, Mark Casey wrote:
> Regarding this patch to resize2fs:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/7379
>
> In reading the comment, I was wondering if this problem scenario can
> also happen when shrinking an ext4 filesystem with this combination
> of features, or if it is only likely to be a problem when growing
> it?

It's only a problem when growing the file system. The comment in the
patch explains the situation; when you are shrinking the file system,
there is never any need to move inode tables to make room for the new
block group descriptor blocks --- which are necessitated by the
additional block groups that come from growing the file system.

- Ted