2002-03-26 00:16:51

by Andrew Theurer

Subject: RPC error on NFS over TCP

Has anyone seen this client error before?
RPC: TCP connect error 104!

I get it sometimes when I try to mount an NFS fs from my clients to linux
server. This also happens on an NFS read test I have. This does not happen
on UDP. All the clients eventually get what they want, but usually after a
couple minute delay.

The linux server is kernel 2.4.18 (with Neil's patches) and sometimes 2.5.7.
The clients (48 of them) are mostly just RH-2.4.2-2 and one is 2.5.7 (happens
on both kernels). There are no dropped packets reported on ifconfig. There
are RPC retransmits on the clients. Any ideas?

-Andrew

by Andrew Theurer

Subject: Re: RPC error on NFS over TCP

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:05:03PM -0600, Andrew Theurer wrote:
> > The linux server is kernel 2.4.18 (with Neil's patches) and sometimes
2.5.7.
> > The clients (48 of them) are mostly just RH-2.4.2-2 and one is 2.5.7
(happens
> > on both kernels). There are no dropped packets reported on ifconfig.
There
> > are RPC retransmits on the clients. Any ideas?
>
> You may need more threads to service the clients? See Neil's notes
> that accompanied the patches (in the archives) w.r.t the number of threads
> and the number of RPC receive buffers.

Thanks Bill! I tried 128 threads and it seems to be OK so far.

-Andrew