2003-01-31 16:56:44

by Matt Heaton

Subject: Question about mounting....

I am using this mount command on all my NFS clients

mount -o ro,vers=3,noatime,rsize=8192,intr 192.168.100.xxx:/dir /dir -t nfs

Which works very well, but the server is using the XFS filesystem. When/if the server has a problem or goes down normally the
mount point is just fine until the server comes back up and then keeps going (It does this on our servers that use EXT3), but on our
NFS servers that use XFS filesystem they don't? The client loses the mount (Still shows up in a df, but shows 0 bytes for the size of the nfs mount). I then have to unmount and then remount EVERY CLIENT everytime there is a problem with our NFS servers?!?!

Is there a problem with XFS and nfs mount points or am I dumb and missing some obvious mount option. It is weird because it works great on all my EXT3 NFS servers.

Thanks,
Matt

2003-01-31 17:27:14

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: Question about mounting....

> mount point is just fine until the server comes back up and
> then keeps going (It does this on our servers that use EXT3),
> but on our

IIRC XFS loses the value of the fsid when it reboots. In recent
versions of the nfs-utils + server, you have an /etc/export option to
set the fsid to a fixed value.

Cheers,
Trond

by David Dougall

Are these stale mounts? or does it act like the server is still down? I
use XFS on all of my linux NFS servers and have only had stale mounts
under certain circumstances. I use the kernel based on 2.4.19rc3 and
nfs-utils-1.0.1. The problem is how exportfs is called on bootup. I seem
to recall having the error with other filesystems, so I don't think it is
XFS related. I had to add an extra "exportfs -r" somewhere in the startup
scripts and all the problems went away.
--David Dougall