2003-05-19 23:41:29

by David Myer

Subject: nfs client question -- kernel version 2.4.18

Hi,

I am trying to understand nfs client code in 2.4.18.
Would appreciate the following advise.

1) in call_encode function (clnt.c), it initializes
the iov base and len for send and recv, why it is only
init iov[0] ? Does it mean it only use ONE IOV for
data send and receive ? If so, if I have use my own
type of buffer underneath, can I just copy it into
iov[0] ?

2) In nfs2xdr.c's nfs_xdr_readdirres function, when
nfs tries to get XDR data, it uses iov[1], I am not
sure when the header and payload got splitted into
iov[0] and iov[1]. I assume this happened ( in case of
udp), in data copy in udp_data_ready, but I did not
see this "split copy" happening.

3) In command line, I am trying to mount using tcp by
mount address1:/dir /address2:/mydir -o tcp
it returned
nfs server reported service unavailable: Protocol not
available..

I saw on server side, when doing rpcinfo -p, mount
daemon does have tcp, what else special I need to
configure, on server or client side in order to mount
using tcp ?

Thanks much
Dave

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: nfs client question -- kernel version 2.4.18

> Hi, I am trying to understand nfs client code in 2.4.18. Would
> appreciate the following advise.

> 1) in call_encode function (clnt.c), it initializes
> the iov base and len for send and recv, why it is only init
> iov[0] ? Does it mean it only use ONE IOV for data send and
> receive ?

The code shold be pretty clear there: half the buffer goes to the send
iovec, the other half goes to the receive iovec.

> If so, if I have use my own type of buffer underneath, can I
> just copy it into iov[0] ?

I suppose. Why would you do that though?

> 2) In nfs2xdr.c's nfs_xdr_readdirres function, when
> nfs tries to get XDR data, it uses iov[1], I am not sure when
> the header and payload got splitted into iov[0] and iov[1]. I
> assume this happened ( in case of udp), in data copy in
> udp_data_ready, but I did not see this "split copy" happening.

That's what csum_partial_copy_to_page_cache() does. In
nfs*_xdr_readdirargs(), we preallocate the RPC header (== iov[0]) so
that the readdir data ends up in the page cache page iov[1].

> 3) In command line, I am trying to mount using tcp by
> mount address1:/dir /address2:/mydir -o tcp it returned nfs
> server reported service unavailable: Protocol not available..

> I saw on server side, when doing rpcinfo -p, mount daemon does
> have tcp, what else special I need to configure, on server or
> client side in order to mount using tcp ?

Err... An actual NFS daemon that supports TCP?

Cheers,
Trond

by David Myer

Thanks for the reply.

I am not using skbuf underneath but have my own buffer
management and socket redirect stuff (can you believe
that ?), I am trying to avoid to do the copy stuff
here.

I am running both client and server in 2.4.18, do you
mean that the server side does NOT support tcp ? eh ?

Thanks again
David

--- Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>
wrote:
> writes:
>
> > Hi, I am trying to understand nfs client code
> in 2.4.18. Would
> > appreciate the following advise.
>
> > 1) in call_encode function (clnt.c), it
> initializes
> > the iov base and len for send and recv, why
> it is only init
> > iov[0] ? Does it mean it only use ONE IOV for
> data send and
> > receive ?
>
> The code shold be pretty clear there: half the
> buffer goes to the send
> iovec, the other half goes to the receive iovec.
>
> > If so, if I have use my own type of buffer
> underneath, can I
> > just copy it into iov[0] ?
>
> I suppose. Why would you do that though?
>
> > 2) In nfs2xdr.c's nfs_xdr_readdirres
> function, when
> > nfs tries to get XDR data, it uses iov[1], I
> am not sure when
> > the header and payload got splitted into
> iov[0] and iov[1]. I
> > assume this happened ( in case of udp), in
> data copy in
> > udp_data_ready, but I did not see this "split
> copy" happening.
>
> That's what csum_partial_copy_to_page_cache() does.
> In
> nfs*_xdr_readdirargs(), we preallocate the RPC
> header (== iov[0]) so
> that the readdir data ends up in the page cache page
> iov[1].
>
> > 3) In command line, I am trying to mount
> using tcp by
> > mount address1:/dir /address2:/mydir -o tcp
> it returned nfs
> > server reported service unavailable: Protocol
> not available..
>
> > I saw on server side, when doing rpcinfo -p,
> mount daemon does
> > have tcp, what else special I need to
> configure, on server or
> > client side in order to mount using tcp ?
>
> Err... An actual NFS daemon that supports TCP?
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

by David Myer

Subject: nfs over tcp in linux kernel version 2.4.18

Hi,

Can anyone advise me if nfs server over tcp is
supported in 2.4.18 kernel version ? How to
setup/enable on both server/client side ? Tried to
looked at FAQ but information did not seem be there.

Do I need to apply any patches ?

Thanks
David

by Guolin Cheng

Subject: RE: nfs over tcp in linux kernel version 2.4.18

David,

"nfs over tcp" is terribly unstable until now, I use version 2.4.20, and
find that over 30 simultaneous nfs connection can kill an "nfs over tcp"
Linux nfs server easily. let clients' processes hangs there forever. But
this didn't happen for Linux nfs server enabling only "nfs over udp".

So the best choice now is totally disregard Linux "nfs over tcp" in
production environment. just try it in research environment.

Thanks.
--Guolin Cheng

Can anyone advise me if nfs server over tcp is
supported in 2.4.18 kernel version ? How to
setup/enable on both server/client side ? Tried to
looked at FAQ but information did not seem be there.

Do I need to apply any patches ?

Thanks
David

by Dan Brunner

Hello!!

You need to patch 2.4.18 to be able to use NFS over TCP.

And recompile the kernel.

http://www.fys.uio.no/%7Etrondmy/src/2.4.18/

for the patches.

It works quite well....

I believe the client already has it. Just use -t for a TCP mount.

Dan

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 01:02 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone advise me if nfs server over tcp is
> supported in 2.4.18 kernel version ? How to
> setup/enable on both server/client side ? Tried to
> looked at FAQ but information did not seem be there.
>
> Do I need to apply any patches ?
>
> Thanks
> David

by Dan Brunner

Guolin,

I can't seem to agree with this...

Maybe I don't have that many connections (17), but I've been running
NFS over TCP since 2.4.18. And I haven't had once MAJOR crash yet!! My
clients however, are all Mac OS X clients. 10.0.4-10.2.6.

Maybe that has something to do with it....

And we don't get a lot of hangs either....

later

Dan

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 01:41 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> David,
>
> "nfs over tcp" is terribly unstable until now, I use version 2.4.20,
> and
> find that over 30 simultaneous nfs connection can kill an "nfs over
> tcp"
> Linux nfs server easily. let clients' processes hangs there forever.
> But
> this didn't happen for Linux nfs server enabling only "nfs over udp".
>
> So the best choice now is totally disregard Linux "nfs over tcp" in
> production environment. just try it in research environment.
>
> Thanks.
> --Guolin Cheng

by Guolin Cheng

Dan,

try your luck.

BTW, let you know that I have to take the pain to reboot 400 Linux boxes to
get rid of "nfs over tcp" in our production environment.

--Guolin Cheng

Maybe I don't have that many connections (17), but I've been running
NFS over TCP since 2.4.18. And I haven't had once MAJOR crash yet!! My
clients however, are all Mac OS X clients. 10.0.4-10.2.6.

Maybe that has something to do with it....

And we don't get a lot of hangs either....

later

Dan

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 01:41 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> David,
>
> "nfs over tcp" is terribly unstable until now, I use version 2.4.20,
> and
> find that over 30 simultaneous nfs connection can kill an "nfs over
> tcp"
> Linux nfs server easily. let clients' processes hangs there forever.
> But
> this didn't happen for Linux nfs server enabling only "nfs over udp".
>
> So the best choice now is totally disregard Linux "nfs over tcp" in
> production environment. just try it in research environment.
>
> Thanks.
> --Guolin Cheng

by Dan Brunner

Guolin,

That DOES sound like a pain in the a$$!!!!!!!

And yes your right, not everyone has the same success...

Good Luck!!

Dan

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 02:19 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> Dan,
>
> try your luck.
>
> BTW, let you know that I have to take the pain to reboot 400 Linux
> boxes to
> get rid of "nfs over tcp" in our production environment.
>
> --Guolin Cheng

by David Myer

Thanks for the information guys,

Looking at svcsock.c in 2.4.18/linux/net/sunrpc/
it does seem to have STREAM type of socket support.
if I just want to do basic mount/ls/vi type of
operations, which patch do I actually need or is there
a comiple switch to set during kernel compilation time
just to enable TCP support on sever side ? Client side
definitely has this by looking at xprt.c code..

Thanks again
David
--- Dan Brunner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Guolin,
>
> That DOES sound like a pain in the a$$!!!!!!!
>
> And yes your right, not everyone has the same
> success...
>
> Good Luck!!
>

> Dan
>

> On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 02:19 PM,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Dan,
> >
> > try your luck.
> >
> > BTW, let you know that I have to take the pain to
> reboot 400 Linux
> > boxes to
> > get rid of "nfs over tcp" in our production
> environment.
> >
> > --Guolin Cheng

Any thoughts on my questions guys ? Would appreciate
any information.

Also, will 2.4.18 kernel as nfs client work with
2.4.20 kernel as nfs server if trying to tcp ? Anyone
have tried this ?

David
--- David Myer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the information guys,
>
> Looking at svcsock.c in 2.4.18/linux/net/sunrpc/
> it does seem to have STREAM type of socket support.
> if I just want to do basic mount/ls/vi type of
> operations, which patch do I actually need or is
> there
> a comiple switch to set during kernel compilation
> time
> just to enable TCP support on sever side ? Client
> side
> definitely has this by looking at xprt.c code..
>
> Thanks again
> David
> --- Dan Brunner <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Guolin,
> >
> > That DOES sound like a pain in the a$$!!!!!!!
> >
> > And yes your right, not everyone has the same
> > success...
> >
> > Good Luck!!
> >

> > Dan
> >

> > On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 02:19 PM,
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > > Dan,
> > >
> > > try your luck.
> > >
> > > BTW, let you know that I have to take the pain
> > reboot 400 Linux
> > > boxes to
> > > get rid of "nfs over tcp" in our production
> > environment.
> > >
> > > --Guolin Cheng

by Lever, Charles

david-

TCP support for the server is enabled on 2.4.20 with
a kernel build option. it may only appear if you have
checked the "Prompt for development and/or incomplete
code/drivers" box under "Code maturity level options."

i don't see why a 2.4.18 NFS client shouldn't work
with the 2.4.20 server over TCP, but the server TCP
support is still under development so it may be a
little rocky.

Got the 2.4.18 kernel. in make xconfig->file
system->network file system, enable server side tcp
support, and rebuild the kernel, reboot, start server
side daemons, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.statd ...

One client side, do a

mount server_ip:/dir1 /home/mydir -o tcp
it gives :
nfs server reported service unavailable: Address
already in use..

Do I miss anything here ?

Thanks again.

=== message truncated ===