2002-10-29 18:10:00

by Tom McNeal

Subject: Re: Corrupt Data when using NFS on Linux -- This should be in the HOWTO

Its easier with the FAQ, but the HOWTO might be the better place.
We'll take a look at it...

Tom

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Forrest <[email protected]>:
>
>>The "guaranteed" way to create a lock file over NFS:
>> create tempfile
>> link tempfile lockfile (ignore return code)
>> stat tempfile
>>If the link count is 2, then you have the lock file. Apparently, link
>>may return success even if the link failed or return failure even if
>>the link succeeded (I don't remember which). Doing the stat verifies
>>if you have actually created a link to the temporary file.
>>

> I know the HOWTO is more for users/sysadmins, but stuff like this could really
> help in an additional "common workarounds for potential gotchas" section at the
> end of the HOWTO.

by Bryan J. Smith

Quoting Tom McNeal <[email protected]>:
> Its easier with the FAQ, but the HOWTO might be the better place.
> We'll take a look at it...

Maybe just a "Top 10 Differences Between NFS And Local"

- Mounts in exported filesystems are not automatically exported
- Locking issues and accomodation in scripts/programs
- Etc...

I think it would go a long way to helping many.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. Contact Info: http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA