2002-10-31 11:11:58

by Igor Rychkov

Subject: re-exporting: exportfs gives Invalid argument

Hi,
I have the following situation: "A" client of network "N" needs file =
access to the "C" server of network "M", and there's "B" with 2 network =
cards. The computers have RedHat 7.2 or 7.3 installed.

B mounts Cshare on /Bshare/Cshare

B's /etc/exports includes the following lines:

/Bshare A(rw,async,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)
/Bshare/Cshare A(rw,nohide,async,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

then=20
B:# exportfs -ra
gives
A.N:/Bshare/Cshare: Invalid argument

Now I remember that one cannot "export a directory and an ancestor of =
that directory on the same filesystem to any one host". Yes, =
/Bshare/Cshare was created as a subdirectory, but wasn't it replaced =
when mounting? And isn't the manual requires extra lines in /etc/exports =
to "nohide" such mounts?

Any hint, please.
Igor

by Kashif Shaikh

Subject: Re: re-exporting: exportfs gives Invalid argument

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 06:17, Igor Rychkov wrote:
> Hi,
> I have the following situation: "A" client of
network "N" needs file access to the "C" server of
network "M", and there's "B" with 2 network cards.
The computers have RedHat 7.2 or 7.3 installed.

> B mounts Cshare on /Bshare/Cshare
>
> B's /etc/exports includes the following lines:
>
> /Bshare A(rw,async,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)
> /Bshare/Cshare A(rw,nohide,async,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)
>
> then
> B:# exportfs -ra
> gives
> A.N:/Bshare/Cshare: Invalid argument

IIRC, I don't think you can mount nfs export points, and then export
such shares through nfs. If you search the archives, you will find
people encountering similar problems.

Kashif