2003-03-07 16:37:27

by Brent M. Clements

Subject: input/output error

I am getting the following error when I do this.

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/users/testfile bs=16k count=65536

dd: writing `/users/testf2': Input/output error
41986+0 records in
41985+0 records out

real 0m11.301s
user 0m0.040s
sys 0m1.779s

I'm only getting partial writes of the file. IE..it never completes
writing the file.

I am using an hp/ux fileserver as my nfs server and it is version 3

The following is the output from /proc/mounts on my linux-2.4.20 ia64
client.

rtcfiler:/users/users /users nfs
rw,v3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,soft,udp,lock,addr=rtcfiler 0 0

Does anyone have any idea how I can debug why its doing this? Or has
anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Brent Clements
Rice University

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: input/output error

> rtcfiler:/users/users /users nfs
> rw,v3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,soft,udp,lock,addr=rtcfiler 0 0
^^^^

Read up on the 'soft' mount option in 'man 5 nfs'.

Cheers,
Trond