2003-05-06 13:57:47

by Matt Schillinger

Subject: Hanging exports

I have built an active-active failover solution for NFS with shared
scsi. Everything about the failover seems to work fine, but I run into
some occasional problems on nfs service. I do not believe these to be
related to clustering, as I can experience these problems when there are
no kind of failover scenario occuring..

the problem is this:

exportfs hangs sometimes, both when exporting, and unexporting (exportfs
-u). As a note, I do all of my exportfsing on an export basis. I only
have 1 export listed in /etc/exports, just to ensure that nfs runs at
bootup. Aside from that, each export directory is manually exportfs'd by
a script.

Problem 2 is that the nfs server stops responding to clients. Clients
are solaris 8,6, and irix 6.5. It only seems to be one export that stops
responding. There are a total of 3 exports on the machine. Only the ONE
problem export stops functioning. However, the other exports continue to
work. exportfs -a does nothing.

In both problem scenarios, no log messages (/var/log/messages) appear.

I'm baffled. Hopefully, someone has an idea.

I am using Redhat 8.0, linux-2.4.18-27.8.0smp kernel (from redhat)

nfs-utils-1.0.1-2

Thanks for your help,

--
Matt Schillinger