2003-10-29 10:42:24

by Nicolas Kowalski

Subject: high server load when quotas exceeded

Hello.

When a user on a NFS client (Linux or Solaris) exceeds his quota on
the home directory, but continues to write data on it, the nfsd
processes on the server takes almost all CPU and the server becomes
irresponsive, until the user stop his writes.

The NFS server is running 2.4.22-xfs, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
The NFS mounts do not have any particular options (intr).

Any tips about this ?

Thanks.

--
Nicolas

by Nicolas Kowalski

Subject: Re: high server load when quotas exceeded

Nicolas Kowalski <[email protected]> writes:

> When a user on a NFS client (Linux or Solaris) exceeds his quota on
> the home directory, but continues to write data on it, the nfsd
> processes on the server takes almost all CPU and the server becomes
> irresponsive, until the user stop his writes.
>
> The NFS server is running 2.4.22-xfs, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
> The NFS mounts do not have any particular options (intr).
>
> Any tips about this ?

Anyone?
What additional information can I provide for debugging this?

Thanks.

--
Nicolas

by seth vidal

> Anyone?
> What additional information can I provide for debugging this?

It happens for me too, it's apparently 'expected behavior' so you're
kinda out of luck from what I saw in the past.

-sv

by Nicolas Kowalski

seth vidal <[email protected]> writes:

>> Anyone?
>> What additional information can I provide for debugging this?
>>

> It happens for me too, it's apparently 'expected behavior' so you're
> kinda out of luck from what I saw in the past.

Expected? It seems amazing.

Do you have any pointers to what you saw in the past about this?

Regards.

--
Nicolas

by seth vidal

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 12:10, Nicolas Kowalski wrote:
> seth vidal <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> Anyone?
> >> What additional information can I provide for debugging this?
> >>

> > It happens for me too, it's apparently 'expected behavior' so you're
> > kinda out of luck from what I saw in the past.
>
> Expected? It seems amazing.
>
> Do you have any pointers to what you saw in the past about this?

it was either on this list or in red hat's bugzilla.

the gist is - there is a return for out of quota space and a different
return for out of diskspace.

your user's program would probably honor the latter but not the former.

-sv