2004-06-02 14:07:28

by Jeff Layton

Subject: NFSv3 not supported!

I'm trying to mount a filesystem from an nfs server. The server is
running 2.6.6 kernel, and I've tried 2.6.6 and 2.6.7-rc2 on the client.
The client keeps reporting the following error when I try to mount using
nfsvers=3.

% sudo mount -o udp,intr,soft,nfsvers=3 nfsserver01:/services/NFS/home
/nfstest
NFSv3 not supported!
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
nfsserver01:/services/NFS/home,
or too many mounted file systems

I can mount using v2 without a problem, and I can mount a filesystem
from a 2.4 kernel using nfsvers=3 without a problem. Also, a different
machine running a 2.6.6 kernel can mount this filesystem without an
issue. The only problem is this one client. Can anyone point me in the
right direction to diagnose this?

NFSv3 is definitely enabled on the client:

laytonj@tesla:~% grep NFS /boot/config-2.6.7-rc2
CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y

I'm stumped! Any help is appreciated.

My current thinking is that this problem is related to the performance
issue I was seeing before. Once I get this worked out, I'll recheck my
NFS performance.

Thanks,
-- Jeff

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Re: NFSv3 not supported!

Ack! Stupid me -- I found my problem. I already had the filesystem
mounted as a v2 filesystem. Maybe time for another cup of coffee for me.
:-)
Sorry!
Jeff