2004-07-29 16:39:19

by Jason Holmes

Subject: nfs client monitoring?

Hi,

Is there a command that can show the demands being placed on the nfs
server by each individual client? I run into the situation from time to
time where a random user will do something that puts an extreme load on
the fileserver and having such a command would help greatly in trying to
figure out the source of the load.

Jason Holmes

by seth vidal

Subject: Re: nfs client monitoring?

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 12:39, Jason Holmes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a command that can show the demands being placed on the nfs
> server by each individual client? I run into the situation from time to
> time where a random user will do something that puts an extreme load on
> the fileserver and having such a command would help greatly in trying to
> figure out the source of the load.

look back on this list, Iirc someone was writing a program to return a
list of which clients were accessing which files.

that's not _quite_ what you're looking for but it could be close.

-sv

by Bernd Schubert

On Thursday 29 July 2004 18:39, Jason Holmes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a command that can show the demands being placed on the nfs
> server by each individual client? I run into the situation from time to
> time where a random user will do something that puts an extreme load on
> the fileserver and having such a command would help greatly in trying to
> figure out the source of the load.

We usually use iftop for that purpose.

Cheers,
Bernd

by Steve Dickson

Jason Holmes wrote:

> Is there a command that can show the demands being placed on the nfs
> server by each individual client? I run into the situation from time
> to time where a random user will do something that puts an extreme
> load on the fileserver and having such a command would help greatly in
> trying to figure out the source of the load.

I've recently added some hooks to xosview that will graphically
show NFS and kNFSD traffic which I find pretty handy....

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.i386.rpm

SteveD.

by Rik Schneider

</lurk>

> I've recently added some hooks to xosview that will graphically
> show NFS and kNFSD traffic which I find pretty handy....
> =20
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedor
a\
>/RPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.i386.rpm

Could you please provide source or patches for those of us who don't run
fedora. Source rpms could also be helpful.

Thanks,
Rik Schneider
Network Engineer
Weathernews Americas Inc. (formerly WNI Oceanroutes)
(405) 701-8941 - Office
[email protected]
http://www.weathernews.com

<lurk>

by Garrick Staples

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 07:57:03AM -0700, Rik Schneider alleged:
> </lurk>
>
> > I've recently added some hooks to xosview that will graphically
> > show NFS and kNFSD traffic which I find pretty handy....
> >
> >http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedor
> a\
> >/RPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.i386.rpm
>
> Could you please provide source or patches for those of us who don't run
> fedora. Source rpms could also be helpful.

Oddly enough,
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/SRPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.src.rpm

University of Southern California

Attachments:
(No filename) (651.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by James Pearson

Rik Schneider wrote:
> </lurk>
>
>> I've recently added some hooks to xosview that will graphically
>> show NFS and kNFSD traffic which I find pretty handy....
>>
>>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedor
>
> a\
>
>>/RPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.i386.rpm
>

> Could you please provide source or patches for those of us who don't run
> fedora. Source rpms could also be helpful.

How about:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/SRPMS/xosview-1.8.0-19.src.rpm

James Pearson

by Rik Schneider

> Oddly enough,

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/SRPMS/
xosview-1.8.0-19.src.rpm

I must admit I didn't look. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I get to
try and build it.

Thanks all,