2004-08-22 22:50:21

by Jack Bates

Subject: F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0

I suspect locking isn't working:

F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0

I encounter this error with a user mode linux root image on an NFS
mount, but not with an image on a local file system. An image on an NFS
mount should work, provided locking works.

The NFS client is running NFS 1.0.6 & a custom 2.6.7 kernel. The NFS
server is running NFS kernel server 1.0.6 & a custom 2.4.27 kernel.
Everything I've read claims that locking is now implemented in the
linux NFS kernel server. A lockd process is running on both the client
& the server. According to all the documentation I've read, locking
should be working; what am I missing? Pointers to diagnostic
information, configuration, & documentation much appreciated!

Why isn't locking working?

Thanks,

Jack

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0

P=E5 su , 22/08/2004 klokka 18:50, skreiv [email protected]:
> I suspect locking isn't working:
>=20
> F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0
>=20
> Pointers to diagnostic information, configuration, & documentation much =
appreciated!

NFS-HOWTO:
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

NFS-FAQ:
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

> Why isn't locking working?

No-one will be able to answer this until you give at least a minimum of
details on how your system is set up. For instance, details on how the
network is set up, whether rpc.statd is running as it should, whether
'rpcinfo -p' works from both server to client and from client to server,
etc.

Cheers,
Trond

by Jack Bates

Subject: FIXED: F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0

On Aug 22, 2004, at 5:29 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> P=E5 su , 22/08/2004 klokka 18:50, skreiv [email protected]:
>> I suspect locking isn't working:
>>
>> F_SETLK failed, file already locked by pid 0
>>
>> Pointers to diagnostic information, configuration, & documentation=20=

>> much appreciated!
>
> NFS-HOWTO:
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
>
> NFS-FAQ:
> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
>
>> Why isn't locking working?
>
> No-one will be able to answer this until you give at least a minimum =
of
> details on how your system is set up. For instance, details on how the
> network is set up, whether rpc.statd is running as it should, whether
> 'rpcinfo -p' works from both server to client and from client to=20
> server,
> etc.

Thank you very much for your generous help, Trond - unfortunately, I am=20=

a moron : P

The HOWTO plainly states statd must be running on the server _&=20
client_. statd wasn't running on my client. Now that it is, locking=20
works. So much for having read all the docs : P

Don't know how I always turn a simple problem into a marathon=20
head-scratch.

Thanks again!

Jack