2004-09-14 19:18:45

by Jack Bates

Subject: how to force umount when "Device or resource busy"?

How does one unmount when umount doesn't work?

Somehow, I got an NFS / AutoFS mount that just won't unmount.

I noticed /var/autofs/net was mounted twice, so I stopped AutoFS &
tried killing the remaining automount process. "kill 14986" didn't
work; I needed "kill -9 14986". The following mounts remain:

wum:~# mount
[...]
automount(pid14986) on /var/autofs/net type autofs
(rw,fd=5,pgrp=14986,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
tor:/home on /var/autofs/net/tor/home type nfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,hard,intr,addr=192.168.103.158)

& I can't unmount them:

wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net/tor/home
umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net/tor/home
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: Illegal seek
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net
umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: automount(pid14986): not found
umount: /var/autofs/net: Illegal seek
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy

I triple checked that no process is using these mounts. How do I
unmount them?

Thanks!

Jack

by Greg Banks

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 05:17, [email protected] wrote:
> How does one unmount when umount doesn't work?
>
> Somehow, I got an NFS / AutoFS mount that just won't unmount.

See the manpage description of the "-l" flag to umount.

Greg.
--
Greg Banks, R&D Software Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
I don't speak for SGI.

by Ian Kent

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> How does one unmount when umount doesn't work?
>
> Somehow, I got an NFS / AutoFS mount that just won't unmount.
>
> I noticed /var/autofs/net was mounted twice, so I stopped AutoFS &
> tried killing the remaining automount process. "kill 14986" didn't
> work; I needed "kill -9 14986". The following mounts remain:

What versions are you using?
Kernel version?
Patched?

Try the autofs list at

Ian

by upendra gandhi

is there an answer to this we are facing this issue in autofs4

thks

[email protected] wrote:

> How does one unmount when umount doesn't work?
>
> Somehow, I got an NFS / AutoFS mount that just won't unmount.
>
> I noticed /var/autofs/net was mounted twice, so I stopped AutoFS &
> tried killing the remaining automount process. "kill 14986" didn't
> work; I needed "kill -9 14986". The following mounts remain:
>
> wum:~# mount
> [...]
> automount(pid14986) on /var/autofs/net type autofs
> (rw,fd=5,pgrp=14986,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
> tor:/home on /var/autofs/net/tor/home type nfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,hard,intr,addr=192.168.103.158)
>
> & I can't unmount them:
>
> wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net/tor/home
> umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net/tor/home
> umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: Illegal seek
> umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net
> umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
> umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
> wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net
> umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: automount(pid14986): not found
> umount: /var/autofs/net: Illegal seek
> umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
>
> I triple checked that no process is using these mounts. How do I
> unmount them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jack

by Trond Myklebust

to den 28.10.2004 Klokka 16:58 (-0700) skreiv upendra gandhi:
> is there an answer to this we are facing this issue in autofs4

Need more information

Cheers,
Trond

--
Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by Ian Kent

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, upendra gandhi wrote:

> is there an answer to this we are facing this issue in autofs4

I Asked for version info. before.

Can you provide it please?

> thks
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > How does one unmount when umount doesn't work?
> >
> > Somehow, I got an NFS / AutoFS mount that just won't unmount.
> >
> > I noticed /var/autofs/net was mounted twice, so I stopped AutoFS &
> > tried killing the remaining automount process. "kill 14986" didn't
> > work; I needed "kill -9 14986". The following mounts remain:
> >
> > wum:~# mount
> > [...]
> > automount(pid14986) on /var/autofs/net type autofs
> > (rw,fd=5,pgrp=14986,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
> > tor:/home on /var/autofs/net/tor/home type nfs
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,hard,intr,addr=192.168.103.158)
> >
> > & I can't unmount them:
> >
> > wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net/tor/home
> > umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> > umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> > wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net/tor/home
> > umount2: Device or resource busy
> > umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: Illegal seek
> > umount2: Device or resource busy
> > umount: /var/autofs/net/tor/home: device is busy
> > wum:~# umount /var/autofs/net
> > umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
> > umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
> > wum:~# umount -f /var/autofs/net
> > umount2: Device or resource busy
> > umount: automount(pid14986): not found
> > umount: /var/autofs/net: Illegal seek
> > umount2: Device or resource busy
> > umount: /var/autofs/net: device is busy
> >
> > I triple checked that no process is using these mounts. How do I
> > unmount them?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jack

by Ian Kent

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, upendra gandhi wrote:

> Ver: autofs-4.1.3-12

So perhaps you are using Fedora core 3?
With kernel version?

Can you duplicate this easily?