2005-01-31 11:22:53

by ALLEN, David

Subject: mount problem with Snap server

> Hi,
>
> I know this might seem at first slightly off topic, but my gut feeling is
> the problem we are experiencing is in some way related to NFS. We have a
> major problem using Samba to access NFS mounted directories. The directory
> in question is on a Snap server running 2.1.19 and version 3 NFS, and
> Samba is running on a new Sun V250 running Solaris 9.
>
> The problems occur when trying to load a file which is on the NFS
> directory, which causes the samba process to crash. Another process starts
> automatically, crashes and so forth.
>
> However, the exact same configuration, NFS mount, Samba version etc works
> fine on an old Sun Utlra 10, also running Solaris 9! Also, everything
> appears to work fine at the Unix level on both machines. It also worked
> fine before we upgraded the Snap server to the new Linux kernel. The old
> kernel was running version 2 NFS.

I have tried setting the NFS version to V2, and also specifing proto=udp on
the Sun v250 to no effect.

> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/pointers. We are getting
> desperate!
>
> David
>
> Log level 3:

by Dan Stromberg

Subject: Re: mount problem with Snap server

I'd compare what patches you have on each sun... That's likely where
the difference is. Also, check /etc/release on both systems - you may
have subtly different base versions of Solaris as well.