2005-04-22 01:01:21

by Bradford Arrington

Subject: default nfs mount options from linux to linux

Does anyone know what or how to find the default mount option are when
mounting an nfs volume?
example
mount linuxnfs:/export /mnt

How do I find the rsize/wsize and any other options? (that are default)

I am lead to believe that the nfs man page information is false for
r/wsize 1k (no way) (udp default is correct though). If I set the
r/wsize to 1k performance is very slow. In a "vanilla" default as above
it has the fastest iozone benchmarks.

Thanks,
-Brad

by Dan Stromberg

Subject: Re: default nfs mount options from linux to linux

If you want to empirically determine a good wsize, for example, you
might try the script below. I still haven't had a chance to use it, but
I'd like to think it'll work fine. :)

Also, if you're on a gigabit network, you may be able to improve NFS
performance a lot by turning on jumbo frames.

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
# with these options:
# bg,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
# we got 50Mbps over NFS to ext3 from esmf04d to esmft2
# I suspect UDP may be faster; we're using tcp here. Not sure why AIX
# isn't reporting that.

#mount -o vers=3,proto=tcp,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 esmft2:/foo /mnt/foo
for proto in tcp udp
do
for vers in 3 2
do
for size in $(seq 1024 16 65536)
do
echo
echo $vers $proto $size
cd /
umount /mnt/foo
mount -o insecure,vers="$vers",proto="$proto",rsize=
$size,wsize=$size \
esmft2:/foo /mnt/foo
cd /mnt/foo
rm -f testfile
# write 10 gigabytes
echo writing 10 gigabytes: $proto $vers $size
/bin/time dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024k count=10240 2>&1
done
done
done

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 18:01 -0700, Bradford Arrington wrote:

> Does anyone know what or how to find the default mount option are when
> mounting an nfs volume?
> example
> mount linuxnfs:/export /mnt
>
> How do I find the rsize/wsize and any other options? (that are default)
>
> I am lead to believe that the nfs man page information is false for
> r/wsize 1k (no way) (udp default is correct though). If I set the
> r/wsize to 1k performance is very slow. In a "vanilla" default as above
> it has the fastest iozone benchmarks.
>
> Thanks,
> -Brad

signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-04-22 15:47:38

by Bruce Allan

Mount the volume without options and check /proc/mounts. Note that some
options may differ based on negotiation with the server.

Regards,
---
Bruce Allan <[email protected]>
Software Engineer, Linux Technology Center
IBM Corporation, Beaverton OR USA
503-578-4187 IBM Tie-line 775-4187

Bradford Arrington <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
04/21/2005 06:01 PM

cc

Subject
[NFS] default nfs mount options from linux to linux

Does anyone know what or how to find the default mount option are when
mounting an nfs volume?
example
mount linuxnfs:/export /mnt

How do I find the rsize/wsize and any other options? (that are default)

I am lead to believe that the nfs man page information is false for
r/wsize 1k (no way) (udp default is correct though). If I set the
r/wsize to 1k performance is very slow. In a "vanilla" default as above
it has the fastest iozone benchmarks.

Thanks,
-Brad

by Bradford Arrington

Bruce,

First thank you to all who replied.

It turns out I should have just looked at the source code to the mount
command found in utils-linux tar package.

It seems that although it may look like its mount with 8k r/wsize, the
mount C code says it is automatically changed by the kernel it self when
needed.

This explains a lot because if I where to just mount it with 8k r/wsizes
the performance is slower than if I where to just mount linux to linux
with out any options (i.e. mount linxnfs:/export /mnt).
These seem to be the initial defaults :
nfs rw,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,udp,lock

However this does not work with Solaris 10, in order to get higher
throughput speeds you must specify 8k r/wsizes

-Brad

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 08:47 -0700, Bruce Allan wrote:
> Mount the volume without options and check /proc/mounts. Note that some
> options may differ based on negotiation with the server.
>
> Regards,
> ---
> Bruce Allan <[email protected]>
> Software Engineer, Linux Technology Center
> IBM Corporation, Beaverton OR USA
> 503-578-4187 IBM Tie-line 775-4187
>

> Bradford Arrington <[email protected]>
> Sent by: [email protected]
> 04/21/2005 06:01 PM

> [email protected]
> cc
>
> Subject
> [NFS] default nfs mount options from linux to linux
>

> Does anyone know what or how to find the default mount option are when
> mounting an nfs volume?
> example
> mount linuxnfs:/export /mnt
>
> How do I find the rsize/wsize and any other options? (that are default)
>
> I am lead to believe that the nfs man page information is false for
> r/wsize 1k (no way) (udp default is correct though). If I set the
> r/wsize to 1k performance is very slow. In a "vanilla" default as above
> it has the fastest iozone benchmarks.
>
> Thanks,
> -Brad

by Dan Stromberg

You can generally verify the actual rsize/wsize using a sniffer, like
ethereal, tcpdump -v or snoop.

Solaris should be defaulting to 8K rsize and wsize, as should almost all
unixes. It's the linuxes that have historically used smaller
rsize/wsize - I'm led to believe this was because so many network cards
used with linux used to be poor, and liked having smaller NFS
blocksizes.