2005-06-04 03:19:15

by Dean S. Messing

Subject: Help: nfs not able to mount large (loopback) directory

I have a large .iso image (4GB) on machine B which I have loopback
mounted to directory /mnt/disk.

When I try to nfs mount B:/mnt/disk to machine A I get a "permission
denied" error.

If I replace the 4GB image on machine B with, say, a 700MB .iso image, I have
no problem with the NFS mount on machine A.

I'm running the latest version of MandrivaLinux (2005LE == Mandrake 10.2)
on machine B and MandrakeLinux 10.0 on machine A so the nfs utilites
on machine B (the server) should be nearly current.
In fact:

[root@neuron ~]# rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 34593 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 34593 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 34593 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 846 mountd
100005 1 tcp 849 mountd
100005 2 udp 846 mountd
100005 2 tcp 849 mountd
100005 3 udp 846 mountd
100005 3 tcp 849 mountd
100024 1 udp 888 status
100024 1 tcp 891 status

Is it the case that nfs (mountd?) can't handle "large" files?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Dean S. Messing
Sr. Scientist
Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
Sharp Laboratories of America

by Trond Myklebust

fr den 03.06.2005 Klokka 20:19 (-0700) skreiv Dean S. Messing:

> I have a large .iso image (4GB) on machine B which I have loopback
> mounted to directory /mnt/disk.
>
> When I try to nfs mount B:/mnt/disk to machine A I get a "permission
> denied" error.
>
> If I replace the 4GB image on machine B with, say, a 700MB .iso image, I have
> no problem with the NFS mount on machine A.
>
> I'm running the latest version of MandrivaLinux (2005LE == Mandrake 10.2)
> on machine B and MandrakeLinux 10.0 on machine A so the nfs utilites
> on machine B (the server) should be nearly current.
> In fact:
>
> [root@neuron ~]# rpcinfo -p
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 1 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 849 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 849 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 849 mountd
> 100024 1 udp 888 status
> 100024 1 tcp 891 status
>

> Is it the case that nfs (mountd?) can't handle "large" files?

It is true that NFS version 2 cannot handle files > 2GB, but as far as I
gathered you are not exporting the ISO as a single file. Besides, NFSv3
and NFSv4 should be quite capable of dealing with a 4GB file.

This therefore sounds more like it might be some strange interaction
between the loopback driver and nfsd or mountd.

Cheers,
Trond

by Dan Stromberg

I also have found that even small ISO images will lead to problems if
you loopback mount them and NFS export them - EG via NFS v3.

However, if I loopback mount the ISO image, copy it to an ext3 directory
with a tar | tar pipeline, and then NFS export that ext3 directory in
the same way, things work fine.

I'm finding that often userspace->kernel and kernel->userspace work well
in linux, but kernel->kernel interfaces seem to have codepaths that
aren't always tested that much.

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 20:19 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> I have a large .iso image (4GB) on machine B which I have loopback
> mounted to directory /mnt/disk.
>
> When I try to nfs mount B:/mnt/disk to machine A I get a "permission
> denied" error.
>
> If I replace the 4GB image on machine B with, say, a 700MB .iso image, I have
> no problem with the NFS mount on machine A.
>
> I'm running the latest version of MandrivaLinux (2005LE == Mandrake 10.2)
> on machine B and MandrakeLinux 10.0 on machine A so the nfs utilites
> on machine B (the server) should be nearly current.
> In fact:
>
> [root@neuron ~]# rpcinfo -p
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
> 100021 1 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 udp 34593 nlockmgr
> 100021 1 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100021 3 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100021 4 tcp 33635 nlockmgr
> 100005 1 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 1 tcp 849 mountd
> 100005 2 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 2 tcp 849 mountd
> 100005 3 udp 846 mountd
> 100005 3 tcp 849 mountd
> 100024 1 udp 888 status
> 100024 1 tcp 891 status
>

> Is it the case that nfs (mountd?) can't handle "large" files?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Dean S. Messing
> Sr. Scientist
> Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
> Sharp Laboratories of America

signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-06-05 06:00:32

by Dean S. Messing

Trond Myklebust wrote:
: fr den 03.06.2005 Klokka 20:19 (-0700) skreiv Dean S. Messing:
: >
:
: It is true that NFS version 2 cannot handle files > 2GB, but as far as I
: gathered you are not exporting the ISO as a single file. Besides, NFSv3
: and NFSv4 should be quite capable of dealing with a 4GB file.
:
: This therefore sounds more like it might be some strange interaction
: between the loopback driver and nfsd or mountd.

>From my reading your remarks sound correct. I wonder how I can
fix this problem. Loopback mounting a DVD .iso image and making
it available via NFS has got to be something that is fairly commonly
done.

Dean

by Dean S. Messing

[...]

According to the version numbers in the output of rpcinfo, I have nfs
v4 available on the server. I have no idea if this makes a
difference, but serving a 700MB CD image via loopback has given me no
problems.

But for some reason I can't serve a DVD .iso image. Of course your
solution of copying the loopback mounted directory into a real
directory is a workaround. But what a waste of space!

It seems to me that serving a DVD .iso via NFS should be a fairly
commonly done thing. Is anyone on this list successfully doing this?

Dean