2005-07-20 22:34:55

by Brett Petrusek

Subject: IA64 Server / IA32 Client Problem

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but I am experiencing severe
performace problems between an IA64 NFS server and IA32 NFS client. I
have tried every combination of socket buffer sizes as well as many
other nfs options, but none of them seem to have any effect. I have
tried RHEL21 to RHEL3U5 with all of these socket combos and still no
difference. The command I am running is:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/scratch_dir_across_nfs bs=1M count=128

Between two IA32 machines this takes 4-5 seconds. Between IA64 server
and IA32 client this takes on the order of minutes. Network performance
has been eliminated from the equation as after kernel tuning we have
achieved consistent 94% of peak tcp throughput and 95.7% of peak udp
throughput on our GigE network. This is both between IA32 and IA64
systems.

Let me know if there is an other info I should provide to help
troubleshoot this problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Brett P

by Dan Stromberg

Subject: Re: IA64 Server / IA32 Client Problem

Well, for starters, how about looking over:

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/NFS-troubleshooting-2.html

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/network-performance.html

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve these documents,
-please-do- suggest away. :)