2006-04-25 16:20:56

by christophe.caron

Subject: Small UDP frame

Hello

We've a cluster under Sun Grid Engine with a data NFS server and we've
some performance problems on the server (it seems this is IO problems).

It seems we've also many,many smalls UDP packets between the node and the
NFS server (5000 packet in 10 seconds...)

#tcpdump -v host server
18:13:26.212996 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 54076, offset 0, flags [DF],
length: 140) server.nfs > n46.797: UDP, length: 112
18:13:26.213459 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 42208, offset 0, flags [DF],
length: 140) n46.797 > server.nfs: UDP, length: 112

Actually i've no more idea about the performance problems. NFS which block
IO ? How could i get more information about this network trafic ?

The data partition is mounted with noatime option.

Any clue ?

thanks

cc

Prenez note de ma nouvelle adresse : [email protected]

Christophe Caron - INRA
Mathematique, Informatique et Genome
Domaine de Vilvert 78350 Jouy-en-Josas
Web: http://migale.jouy.inra.fr/
Tel: 01-34-65-28-88 Email: [email protected]

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Re: Small UDP frame

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 18:20 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> Actually i've no more idea about the performance problems. NFS which block
> IO ? How could i get more information about this network trafic ?

Capture the data in binary format (tcpdump can do this with the -w
option, though you may need to increase the snarflen with -s) and then
have a look at it with a packet analyzer (such as ethereal).

-- Jeff