2007-11-23 04:00:58

by Harshula

Subject: Re: [NFS] libnfsidmap

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 08:11 -0500, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 6:32 AM, Harshula <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 09:12 -0500, Kevin Coffman wrote:

> > > You have cross-realm Kerberos trusts set up. A user from a different
> > > Kerberos realm comes to your server and you have no local mapping for
> > > that user.
> >
> > Can the KDCs be setup to handle this case?
>
> If you are asking if the KDC can be configured to not give such users
> a ticket, the answer is no.

No, I was referring to cross-realm authentication:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/kerberos-faq/general/section-18.html

> > > A new local user is created, but has not yet been placed in the mappings.
> >
> > This case should fail.
>
> My opinion is that they have successfully authenticated, and should
> not be denied all access because there is no mapping. This should
> probably be a configurable option.

If it is going to be configurable, I hope the default will be the
'secure' option of disallowing users without mappings. If a new local
user is created and there is no mapping, then it's either a
misconfiguration or intentional. We should not be catering for the
misconfiguration.

cya,
#