2002-03-16 18:48:16

by Ulrich Hochholdinger

Subject: Timeout-problems

Hi,
I've some strange problems here with my nfs-server.

Mounting filesystems works only sometimes and then with long timeouts.

For example:
On the Client:
$> mount -tnfs server:/Mirror /Mirror
the system waits some time and then I get a
mount: RPC: Timed out
Then I wait some 5 minutes doing nothing, and try it again, now sometimes
the mount process will work successfull and I can access all files on the
mounted drive.
I tried this with nfsv2 and nfsv3 and with and without tcp.

The next thing is when a mount failed, I try on the server a
showmount -e localhost or showmount -a localhost
and I get a:
rpc mount export: RPC: Timed out
the same from the client
waiting some 2 minutes this wil work again...
an rpcinfo -p server (from client and server side) shows the same ports
on the client side I also made all rpc-services available for the server
(hosts_access)
Additionally I've no IP-filters/chains running on these machines.

my /etc/exports shows this line:
-----
/Mirror @some-netgroup(rw,no_root_squash) client1(rw,no_root_squash) client2(rw,no_root_squash)
------ (chaneged the original host-names :)

An tcpdump on both sides shows that no packages are lost,
simply the mountd isn't responding...

The Server is a Dual PIII Box with linux-2.4.18 nfs compiled with nfsv3
support for server and client both as modules. The operating system is
Debian woody. Network card is a 3com 3c905b.
The client is a Dell PIII Laptop with built in ethernet card (3Com 3c556
Laptop Tornado), running linux-2.4.17 also nfs compiled with nfsv3 and
as module and running Debian woody.
They communicate over an 3Com SuperStack II switch 3000

Gruss
Ulli

--
\ Ulli Hochholdinger E-Mail: [email protected] \