2002-04-15 20:02:35

by Tom McNeal

Subject: NFS Utils package

Hi -

I've exported an NFS Utils package based on the latest checkins
on the CVS tree, which H.J. tagged as nfs-utils-1-0-1-pre3. I
have tested it with 2.2, 2.4, and Solaris 7 servers, running with
a 2.4.18 client, running all 4 Connectathon 2002 tests simultaneously,
along with bonnie++ and a duplicate request cache test I developed
last year. I set them up to run 20 times each, so there is a
constant mix of various tests doing different things for a few
hours in each test sequence.

You can download the package from sourceforge:

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-utils-1-0-1-pre3.tar.gz

The notes for all the modifications are in the ChangeLog file
in the package. The one that is of most importance to me is
the modification of the default behavior for nfs exports; The
default is now "sync", and you will get a warning if you don't
specify either "sync" or "async".

I will be out of town for a week or so, and won't be able to
read the mailing list much at all, but I'll be reviewing status
later on next week, so go ahead and post comments to the mailing
list, and send any private mail directly to me at this address.

Regards -

Tom McNeal

by ed

Subject: Re: NFS Utils package

Hi, Tom!

/Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:04:04 -0700/ you wrote:

TM> I've exported an NFS Utils package based on the latest checkins
TM> on the CVS tree, which H.J. tagged as nfs-utils-1-0-1-pre3. I
TM> have tested it with 2.2, 2.4, and Solaris 7 servers, running with
TM> a 2.4.18 client, running all 4 Connectathon 2002 tests simultaneously,
TM> along with bonnie++ and a duplicate request cache test I developed
TM> last year.
Are your tests able for download somewhere ?
Do you know another nfs tests ?

TM> You can download the package from sourceforge:

TM> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-utils-1-0-1-pre3.tar.gz
Thank you, Tom.

And what about nfs-utils 1.0 ? It was mentioned here a couple of
month ago, but can't find it on sourceforge nfs page.

--
Best regards,
Ed V. Bartosh

by Tom McNeal

The connectathon tests can be downloaded from
http://www.connectathon.org/nfstests.html
and the bonnie++ load I added came from
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++

I'm intending to rerun cthon02 with iozone as the
background load, when I am home again next week. That
can be found at http://www.iozone.org, and I put some
instructions for running it in the performance section
of the NFS howto.

I won't have access to my duplicate request cache test
until next week, but connectathon does cover that. One
thing to look for with 2.2 systems that don't support
large file sizes (> 2 gb) is that the special tests will
fail, but you can comment out the last test of the
special test sequence ("bigfile") to avoid that, if you
want.

Tom