2002-09-04 08:35:16

by Marco.Schwarz

Subject: NFS & Clustering

Hi all,

we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root server
for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possible with NFS and
which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX ?).

Thanks in advance,
Marco

by Bryan O'Sullivan

Subject: Re: NFS & Clustering

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 01:35, [email protected] wrote:

> we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root server
> for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possible with NFS and
> which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX ?).

It isn't possible without a modified mountd that replicates mount
information. I haven't seen any free NFS servers that do this, but I
haven't looked very hard.

<b

by Ragnar Kjørstad

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:03:46AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 01:35, [email protected] wrote:
> > we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root =
server
> > for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possible with =
NFS and
> > which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX ?).
>=20
> It isn't possible without a modified mountd that replicates mount
> information. I haven't seen any free NFS servers that do this, but I
> haven't looked very hard.

Sure it is. mountd writes the information to disk - you just need to
share that info between the servers.

--=20
Ragnar Kj=F8rstad

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 09:20, Ragnar Kj=F8rstad wrote:

> Sure it is. mountd writes the information to disk - you just need to
> share that info between the servers.

That leaves you with an obvious race condition.

<b

by Ragnar Kjørstad

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:22:40AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 09:20, Ragnar Kj=F8rstad wrote:
>=20
> > Sure it is. mountd writes the information to disk - you just need to
> > share that info between the servers.
>=20
> That leaves you with an obvious race condition.

For active/passive systems there are no race-conditions and it works
fine. For active/active systems there would be a race, but it still
wouldn't work because the data is (AFAIK) not reread from disk.

--=20
Ragnar Kj=F8rstad

by Emanuel Quass

Hi,

but doesn't it work if you share /var/lib/nfs/* (containing etab, rmtab, =
sm, =20
sm.bak, state, xtab)?

MfG
=09Emanuel

Am Mittwoch, 4. September 2002 18:03 schrieb Bryan O'Sullivan:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 01:35, [email protected] wrote:
> > we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root
> > server for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possibl=
> > with NFS and which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX =
?).

> It isn't possible without a modified mountd that replicates mount
> information. I haven't seen any free NFS servers that do this, but I
> haven't looked very hard.
>
> =09<b

by Bryan O'Sullivan

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 09:24, Emanuel Quass wrote:

> but doesn't it work if you share /var/lib/nfs/* (containing etab, rmtab, sm,
> sm.bak, state, xtab)?

Not reliably. You're left with a single point of failure, for one
thing. You also have races between one server permitting a mount and
others knowing that the mount has been allowed, which can confuse
clients.

<b

by Ragnar Kjørstad

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:40:08AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 09:24, Emanuel Quass wrote:
>=20
> > but doesn't it work if you share /var/lib/nfs/* (containing etab, rmt=
ab, sm, =20
> > sm.bak, state, xtab)?
>=20
> Not reliably. You're left with a single point of failure, for one
> thing. You also have races between one server permitting a mount and
> others knowing that the mount has been allowed, which can confuse
> clients.

I suppose you're suggesting that the disk with /var/lib/nfs/ is a single
point of failure? Well yes, unless you use a redundant storage-system.

The race-condition is only present when the nfs-service is enabled on
both server at the same time. For active/passive failover you have
software that monitor the health of the the primary-system and the
secondary system is only started up if the primary fails. So, there is
no race.

--=20
Ragnar Kj=F8rstad