2002-11-11 05:33:35

by Kevin

Subject: RPC timeout errors

I am running an nfs server and client; bot machines having RedHat 7.1
installed with kernel 2.4.2-2 and nfs-utils-0.3.1-5. The server seems fine.
Everything in my host files are perfect. Infact, i checked my messages file
in /var and it shows the server allowing an incoming nfs connection from
client 192.168.0.1.

I have the following line in my /etc/fstab:
192.168.0.254:/home/Fear /mnt/server1 nfs
rw,hard,intr 0 0

With that added, i used to be able to type mount -a and it would mount
everything in /etc/fstab. It tries to mount the nfs, but chokes up & gives
me the error "mount: RPC: Timed out". I followed every instruction located
in the Linux NFS HOWTO and it referred me to this e-mail for questions.

Thanks for your time.

Kevin

by Donavan Pantke

Subject: Re: RPC timeout errors

On Monday 11 November 2002 00:21, Kevin wrote:
> I am running an nfs server and client; bot machines having RedHat 7.1
> installed with kernel 2.4.2-2 and nfs-utils-0.3.1-5. The server seems
> fine. Everything in my host files are perfect. Infact, i checked my
> messages file in /var and it shows the server allowing an incoming nfs
> connection from client 192.168.0.1.
>
> I have the following line in my /etc/fstab:
> 192.168.0.254:/home/Fear /mnt/server1 nfs
> rw,hard,intr 0 0
>
> With that added, i used to be able to type mount -a and it would mount
> everything in /etc/fstab. It tries to mount the nfs, but chokes up & g=
ives
> me the error "mount: RPC: Timed out". I followed every instruction loc=
ated
> in the Linux NFS HOWTO and it referred me to this e-mail for questions.
>
> Thanks for your time.

=09I've run into this before, and the problem is that the mount daemon is=
trying=20
to reverse and forward resolve that IP address. If you dumped the client =
and=20
server either in a DNS server or in the /etc/hosts file you should see an=
=20
instanteanous mount.

=09To everyone else: Is there a way of turing this off in the mount daemo=
n? I=20
would like to have my auto-install scripts get to NFS without having to a=
dd=20
DNS entries first.

=09Hope this helps!
=09Donavan Pantke

by Tobias Diedrich

Donavan Pantke wrote:

> I've run into this before, and the problem is that the mount
> daemon is trying to reverse and forward resolve that IP address.
> If you dumped the client and server either in a DNS server or in
> the /etc/hosts file you should see an instanteanous mount.

Interesting.
We have ~80 nfs clients and since adding the last 30 we got the problem
that when a lot of users are using the system we often get "RPC: timed
out" on a lot of machines, but in the server lot nothing looks wrong.
Maybe I should try setting up an additional nameserver on the nfs server
because the machine currently running the nameserver is an old sun
ultra1 enterprise...
We also experienced a weird problem where after everything was running
fine for a few days the server would refuse mounts to some clients with
"getfh failed" and you'd have to exportfs -rav to get it working
again...

--
Tobias PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits