2002-11-18 15:22:53

by William Knop

Subject: status?

Hello,

I'm setting up a distributed/clustering filesystem for a research group and
would like some info/advise.

NFSv4 looks pretty sweet, but is it ready for beta deployment? We'll need to
have everything up and stable fairly soon, but so far it seems like NFSv4 is
the only open source FS out there that will satisfy our requirements, of
which the main ones are partial-file caching and support for large (100GB+)
filesystems.

Intermezzo forces whole file caching, which will not do. OpenGFS I believe
is still in alpha stage. OpenAFS only allows for very small filesystems.
EVMS looks promising, but the clustering FS part is still alpha. I think
NFSv3 has poor performance, although it would be excellent if it would work.

I'd greatly appreciate any info on distributed/clustering filesystems,
especially NFSv4 or stable alternatives.

Thanks much,
William Knop

by Ragnar Kjørstad

Subject: Re: status?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:22:47AM -0500, William Knop wrote:
> I'd greatly appreciate any info on distributed/clustering filesystems,=20
> especially NFSv4 or stable alternatives.

Maybe you should look into "lustre" (at http://www.lustre.org).
I'm not sure if the current code is considdered alpha, beta or something
completely different, so it may not be the best solution short-term.

--=20
Ragnar Kj=F8rstad
Big Storage