2002-11-21 20:42:32

by Frank

Subject: permission denied.

Hi All,
I am running on Linux 2.4.18-3 and try to setup a "link" nfs, but got a
"permission denied".

a link nfs is like this:
in machine 1: export A
in machine 2: mount A to B and then export B
in mahcine 3: mount B to C.

the "permission denied" occurs at the last step when I tried to mount B to
C.

I am working on a software which needs this kind of structure, so I wonder
if NFS support such "link" exporting and mounting?

Thanks.

Frank Tu

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: permission denied.

On Thursday November 21, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am running on Linux 2.4.18-3 and try to setup a "link" nfs, but got a
> "permission denied".
>
> a link nfs is like this:
> in machine 1: export A
> in machine 2: mount A to B and then export B
> in mahcine 3: mount B to C.
>
> the "permission denied" occurs at the last step when I tried to mount B to
> C.
>
> I am working on a software which needs this kind of structure, so I wonder
> if NFS support such "link" exporting and mounting?

re-exporting NFS filesystems is not supported and it is unlikely that
it will be. Partly there are protocol issues that make it an
unsolvable problem in general (though many specific cases can probably
be made to work). Partly there is usually a better solution to the
underlying problem.

One thing you could try if you were really set on this path is to use
the user-space nfs server aka "Universal NFS daemon" aka unfsd. This
can export any filesystem, but has speed and some reliability issues.

NeilBrown

by Frank

Dear Neil,
Thank you for your help.
I don't think Universal NFS is suitable for my situation.

My situation is there is a linux box sitting between NFS server and end
users. This linux box will transfer the NFS server to the end user, so in
this linux box, I need to mount the NFS server, then export mounted point
to the end users.

NFS NFS
NFS_server ------> Linux_Box --------> end users

In the linux box, there are two commands:
mount -t nfs NFS_server:/path/dir /linux_box_path/dir
exportfs -ra
(in /etc/exports: /linux_box_path/dir *(rw) )

In the normal situation, such "link" exporting and mounting is not
necessary since the end user can directly mount the NFS server to itself,
but I need to add some functions in my Linux_Box and this becomes
necessary.

Are you very sure NFS protocol doesn't support such "link" exporting and
mounting?

Thanks.

Frank

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Neil Brown
wrote:

> On Thursday November 21, [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I am running on Linux 2.4.18-3 and try to setup a "link" nfs, but got a
> > "permission denied".
> >
> > a link nfs is like this:
> > in machine 1: export A
> > in machine 2: mount A to B and then export B
> > in mahcine 3: mount B to C.
> >
> > the "permission denied" occurs at the last step when I tried to mount B to
> > C.
> >
> > I am working on a software which needs this kind of structure, so I wonder
> > if NFS support such "link" exporting and mounting?
>
> re-exporting NFS filesystems is not supported and it is unlikely that
> it will be. Partly there are protocol issues that make it an
> unsolvable problem in general (though many specific cases can probably
> be made to work). Partly there is usually a better solution to the
> underlying problem.
>
> One thing you could try if you were really set on this path is to use
> the user-space nfs server aka "Universal NFS daemon" aka unfsd. This
> can export any filesystem, but has speed and some reliability issues.
>
> NeilBrown

by Bernd Schubert

On Friday 22 November 2002 17:11, Rongqing \"Frank\" Tu wrote:
> Dear Neil,
> Thank you for your help.
> I don't think Universal NFS is suitable for my situation.

Hi Frank,

Using any other user-space export daemon should also do what you want. So you
could try to use samba for example.

Bernd

by Frank

Thanks.
I found the place to resolve the problem.
in the kernel code of nfsd, exp_export() in export.c, ignore the check of
fs flag of FS_REQUIRES_DEV.
inode->i_sb->s_type->fs_flags.

Frank