2003-01-15 19:59:48

by Heflin, Roger A.

Subject: Re: Broken umount -f

> Message: 1
> From: "Cole, Timothy D." <[email protected]>
> To: 'Scott Mcdermott' <[email protected]>, =
[email protected]
> Subject: RE: [NFS] Re: broken umount -f
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:46:42 -0800
>=20
Thinking about it, having non-intr won't save you in any way shape for
form.

If the nfs server pauses for some reason and you have non-intr and the=20
user hits ctrl-c or something similir, it will just wait for the server =
to come
back and then take the ctrl-c and abruptly kill the program, if the=20
operation(s) takes any amount of time you will still have corrupted =
files.

Roger

by Scott Mcdermott

Subject: Re: Re: Broken umount -f

Heflin, Roger A. on Wed 15/01 13:59 -0600:
> Thinking about it, having non-intr won't save you in any way shape for
> form.

although I tried, I can't think of a case where this is wrong. I'll
just remount my filesystems with `intr'. But, I still think that with
`intr', umount -f should work.

perhaps `nointr' should be the default mount option.

btw the NFS HOWTO recommends hard,nointr

by Cole, Timothy D.

Agreed on that count -- I didn't really mean to suggest otherwise.
Unmounting is orthagonal to signal delivery, so really intr/nointr shouldn't
influence umount -f's behavior.

> btw the NFS HOWTO recommends hard,nointr

I think there was a typo in an some earlier versions -- the current version
of the NFS HOWTO (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html)
recommends hard,intr.

by Scott Mcdermott

Cole, Timothy D. on Thu 16/01 11:45 -0800:
> > But, I still think that with `intr', umount -f should work.
>
> Agreed on that count -- I didn't really mean to suggest otherwise.

I meant, that with `nointr' it should work. I made a couple of typos in
that email :)

> Unmounting is orthagonal to signal delivery, so really intr/nointr
> shouldn't influence umount -f's behavior.

as it is now, with `nointr' the signals aren't delivered when there is
pending IO, apparently (don't know if that's what really happens in the
kernel)

> > btw the NFS HOWTO recommends hard,nointr
>
> I think there was a typo in an some earlier versions -- the current
> version of the NFS HOWTO
> (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html) recommends
> hard,intr.

I think I read it wrong. I seem to have dyslexia or something...

anyways thanks to all for this useful discussion, I have remounted my
systems with intr and that solution is good enough for now.