2003-01-21 16:34:43

by Daniel Koch

Subject: Problems with mounting NFS

Hi,

I'm having problems with my NFS mounting at boottime. It takes about 8-10
min to boot, and when I do dmesg I get the following message:

nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out

My NFS server is a Pentium II 300MHz laptop with 124 MB RAM . Operating
system is SUSE Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18)
etc/exports:
/home/antares 192.168.1.7(rw)

My NFS client is a 586 embedded PC 100Mhz with 32 MB RAM. Operating system
is a Whitedwarf Linux 1.2 (kernel 2.4.18-rthal5 RTAI)
/etc/fstab:

192.168.1.10:/home/antares /home/antares/NFS nfs rw,hard,intr 0
0

The problems occured after switching the client`s operating system from
Whitedwarf Linux version 1.1 (kernel 2.2.14) to version 1.2 (kernel
above). I`m a newbie to NFS, so I do apologize if this is a faq (I didn`t
find a solution when I read the very good NFS manual here at sourceforge).
I'd appreciate any help.

Daniel

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more http://www.gmx.net +++
NEU: Mit GMX ins Internet. Rund um die Uhr f?r 1 ct/ Min. surfen!

by Donavan Pantke

Subject: Re: Problems with mounting NFS

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 11:34, Daniel Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with my NFS mounting at boottime. It takes about 8-=
10
> min to boot, and when I do dmesg I get the following message:
>
> nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> lockd_up: makesock failed, error=3D-5
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out

=09This problem is because you don't have portmap running on the client. =
NFS=20
needs protmap running on both server and client, or you will see this=20
slownees, and probably other issues, most likely dealing with file lockin=
g.

> The problems occured after switching the client`s operating system from
> Whitedwarf Linux version 1.1 (kernel 2.2.14) to version 1.2 (kernel
> above). I`m a newbie to NFS, so I do apologize if this is a faq (I didn=
`t
> find a solution when I read the very good NFS manual here at sourceforg=
e).
> I'd appreciate any help.

=09The mount log entires dealing with versions probably have to do with t=
he=20
upgrade to 1.2 not putting an updated version of mount on the machine. I'=
m=20
not familiar with Whitedwarf, but if it uses a package management system =
of=20
any kind, check to make sure that the package that has the mount daemon i=
s=20
the version that came with 1.2.

=09Hope this helps!
=09Donavan Pantke