2003-03-06 13:52:52

by Jonas Oberg

Subject: Too many mounts

In our department we have a problem with our student server. It
appears that the Linux kernel limits the number of anonymous (nfs
et. al) mounts to 256. This is a problem for us, since we use
automount to mount home directories from our fileserver via NFS. We
are frequently in the range of 190-220 active mounts (we have set the
automount timeout to be about 30 seconds to get rid of idle mounts
quickly).

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Would using devfs
perhaps solve the problem by allowing more anonymous mounts?

--
Jonas ?berg
Systems administrator/webmaster, Department of Informatics,

by Ion Badulescu

Subject: Re: Too many mounts

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:52:22 +0100, Jonas Oberg <[email protected]> wrote:
> In our department we have a problem with our student server. It
> appears that the Linux kernel limits the number of anonymous (nfs
> et. al) mounts to 256. This is a problem for us, since we use
> automount to mount home directories from our fileserver via NFS. We
> are frequently in the range of 190-220 active mounts (we have set the
> automount timeout to be about 30 seconds to get rid of idle mounts
> quickly).
>
> Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Would using devfs
> perhaps solve the problem by allowing more anonymous mounts?

The solution is to mount the entire home filesystem(s), not each
student's home individually.

Ion

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.

by Heflin, Roger A.

> To: [email protected]
> From: Jonas Oberg <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:52:22 +0100
> Subject: [NFS] Too many mounts
>=20
> In our department we have a problem with our student server. It
> appears that the Linux kernel limits the number of anonymous (nfs
> et. al) mounts to 256. This is a problem for us, since we use
> automount to mount home directories from our fileserver via NFS. We
> are frequently in the range of 190-220 active mounts (we have set the
> automount timeout to be about 30 seconds to get rid of idle mounts
> quickly).
>=20
> Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Would using devfs
> perhaps solve the problem by allowing more anonymous mounts?
>=20
>=20
It is supposed to be a kernel limitation so devfs won't help you.

There were (6-9 months ago) some patches for certain=20
versions of the kernel to change the limit up to around 768 or so,
and there was a more complicated patch that would take the number
higher, but I believe had to use unsecured ports.

The last time I looked for them I did not find exactly what I
was looking for, and we have not been hitting the limit except
under conditions that were a admin mistake and not supposed to have
been happening.

Roger