2003-03-08 19:20:57

by Dave Gilbert (Home)

Subject: of rmtab and 'Invalid argument' and permission denied

Hi,
I have a problem with an NFS server running SuSE 8.1 and serving
to a mix of different systems; the server runs the kernel server.

Sometimes the client will get a permission denied on attempting to mount
=66rom the server even though it managed it a few hours earlier with no
change to config of the server.

Restarting the nfs server gives a line of the form:

clienthostname: Invalid argument

Going into /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removing the entries for the client
and then restarting cause both the Invalid argument error and the
mounting problems to disappear.

I'm not sure but one observation is that for the clients which have the
problem the rmtab contains two entries for the same file system - e.g.

clienthostname:/mountpoint:0x00000005
clienthostname:/mountpoint/a/sub/directory:0x00000002

I haven't been able to replicate the problem on a Debian (sid) box that I
happen to have here (even with the SuSE mountd binaries).

So questions:
1) Has this been seen before - what are the known causes/cures.
2) What exactly reads rmtab (is it mountd?) - are there any easy ways
to track the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ---------------------- =20
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \=20
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /
\ _________________________|_____ http://www.treblig.org |_______/

by NeilBrown

On Saturday March 8, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with an NFS server running SuSE 8.1 and serving
> to a mix of different systems; the server runs the kernel server.
>
> Sometimes the client will get a permission denied on attempting to mount
> from the server even though it managed it a few hours earlier with no
> change to config of the server.
>
> Restarting the nfs server gives a line of the form:
>
> clienthostname: Invalid argument

What does your /etc/exports file look like? Does it have both host
names and IP addresses?
Do you export both a directory and an ancestor of that directory on
the same filesystem?

Both of these can cause this sort of problem.

What version of nfs-utils is in SuSE 8.1?

showmount -v

will tell you.

NeilBrown